Resistor Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor Plugs

Curious what other members' experience is with "R" resistor sparkplugs in their old bikes.

I've heard the old systems are not designed to work properly with "R" plugs and I've heard others say they run them all the time with no problems.

Anyone have anything to contribute to this question?

Thanks.

Buzz,

I haven't had much luck with them when installed in an otherwise stock ignition system; 6 volt, dual fire wasted spark coil, points and condenser in the timer. I think the guys that are using them without problems also have a solid state ignition and/or 12 volt conversion.

While we're on the subject, I haven't had much luck with modern plug wires either. Solid copper core wires are still the best on an original bike.

just my experience...

mike

Comment

I was considering running them in my 101 Scout (i have a few boxes of them in my garage) but didn't want to do something foolish just to save a couple of bucks. My 101 has been converted to 12 volt, so I might give it a try.

My 6-volt Ducati 250 ran some R plugs and it didn't run so strong. When my mechanic said not to R plugs in the 6-volt Ducati and replaced them it did seem to run better.

Any other opinions?

Thanks,

Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz K
        I was considering running them in my 101 Scout (I have a few boxes of them in my garage) but didn't want to do something foolish just to save a couple of bucks. My 101 has been converted to 12 volt, so I might give it a try.
        Regardless whether your 101 has been converted to 12 volts, you're still running the magneto no? So there is no difference (in the ignition system) from when it was 6 volts.

Personally I've never run resistor plugs on a magneto bike (no radio or helmet comm. system to worry about reducing noise in), but I doubt a strong magneto would even notice the extra 5K or so ohms that a resistor plug has. Try them out and report back to the group ... Perry

Comment

I have had poor luck with resistor plugs when used with a six volt system especially when the bike has a tendancy to burn oil. My pan fouled a plug on the way to Rhinebeck this summer. It was a resistor plug that failed. I was having good luck using AC 44S plugs untill I found out they were all used up the night before Rhinebeck. I put in a R-champion plug and it lasted 100 miles. The R prefixed autoparts store I put in did not last too long. Some vendor was selling non resistor plugs at the meet and I had no problems after installing them.
          The six volt system is weak and it only makes sense that adding resistance is going to make the spark weaker. Adding a resistor is like putting a restriction in a water pipe. Hows that for not getting too technical!
          It is getting impossible to find non resistor plugs at your typical auto parts store. For all applications I have found Champion plugs to be the worst.
          Kep on pluggin

Doug

Comment

Working...
          X