57 throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 throttle

the throttle control wire on my 57 feeds down to the carb and goes to an ear on the frame with a cable clamp then about 5 inches away it hooks to the throttle linkage on top of the linkert, when i turn the throttle to push the wire out the cable flexes and it does not open all the way.... i would think there should be a cable clamp bracket of some kind next to the carb but can find none that is correct for a 57 fl , am i just missing this in the parts book???? thanks chris.... i have taken a small piece of wire and at mid point attached it to a valve cover screw and it stops it from flexing and works fine but i would rather have it correct.

There is a cable clamp that go's on the top motor mount bolt that is on the frame and mount Bill's in Pa has this part (570) 759-9613

Comment

Hello Chris, I'm not sure if you resolved your problem yet with the flexing throttle cable. I'll only add things you may already know...although I have been riding that era M/C's for 25+ yrs and have several. Is the inner cable correct? The outer cable adds strength to it and should be visible just under the tank as it's pointing toward the Throttle arm, if it's to short possibly from whatever the support wouldn't be there. I'm sure you have the correct High stand throttle lever arm that just about scrapes the tank underneath as that is correct for that bike. It's about 2 1/2" tall. Do you have the thick 4 bolt spacer (not the gaskets) between the Linkert and the Manifold as that's about a 1/4" difference in carb alingment which makes a difference for throttle cable alingment believe it or not. The carb sitting back further hampers the throttle some. Those are my two cents off the top of my head for proper throttle operation, since you did say that the small clamp is holding the outer cable along the frame inline tells me the cable is routed ok. Good luck..you'll figure it out. Keep ridin em, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

thanks for the info........picked up the bracket and all is well....thanks again chris

Comment

Speaking of throttle cables, is there a source for the cloth covered cables ?

Comment

Sorry for hanging on to this, but can anyone provide a source for cloth covered control cables ? I was talking to a friend last night who is doing a 30's vintage Indian Chief and he has the same need.

Comment

Working...
            X