1912 HD rear hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 HD rear hub

I'm reassembling the 1912 HD rear hub, with free wheel clutch.
    The races look fine, I'm replacing all the loose balls. I don't see any indication that any of these were ever greased.
    Would it be wise to pack the races and balls with grease or just rely on the oiler fitting in the hub? Also there are 15 friction washers in the brake. Should these be lightly oiled or left dry?
    Thanks for your help....Rod

Hello Rod , these brakes should be kept oiled , you can read all about them and others in Val Page's book - Motorcycles , sidecars and cyclecars , it is available on line through the United Sidecar Association - click on links and books or try direct on <www.sidecar.com/links3.asp> look in volume 6 , page 390 reference figure 255 , which is shown on page 396 , good luck , there is a hell of a lot of valuable info for old bike buffs like us , 11 volumes , bl--dy good reading all of it , Ken

Comment

Ken ...Thanks so much for the information. I have heard of this book but have never had access to it. I will put the info to good use...Rod

Comment

Maybe someone can answer another question...I am spokeing the rear free wheel clutch hub to the belt rim on my 1912 H.D. The holes in the belt rim are off set toward the closed side of the clutch hub. When trued up, is that clutch hub centered in the rim or off set to one side, or some where in between ? I've never seen one of these set up on a bike before....Thanks for any help
        Rod

Comment

Mount your bare hub in the frame. Then measure from a flange of the hub to where the edge of where the wheel would go in the frame. Maintain this distace when lacing up the wheel.

Comment

That seems to make sense, I'll give it a try this week end.
            Thanks for your input......Rod

Comment

1912 HD Hub

One last question: I am missing one of the washers in the rear brake. The parts book shows 8 plain friction washers and 7 groved friction washers. I have these, the book also calls for
              "1 grooved friction washer heavy". Any one know the thickness of this "heavy " washer ?

I would guess if the stack of washers is too thick the brake woukd tend to stick, and too thin the brake would be inefective. I could assemble by trial and error if need be. Just wondering if someone has been there ahead of me. Thanks Rod

Comment

Working...
              X