Oil Tank Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Tank Mount

My question concerns the Oil Tank Mounting plate used on Big Twins. Is the turned down lip running around the perimeter of this mounting plate 90deg to the mounting surface all the way around on an OEM original? I have looked at several and all have the area bent in behind the battery hold down rod hole on the left side behind the clutch arm. It appears to me this would be a modification for clearance of the clutch arm....

Highlander

Ok, perhaps this pic will help?
    Attached Files

Comment

I have noticed the same thing on many mounting plates. I recently installed a v-twin stock type oil tank in a 57, and had to bend the new plate for release lever clearance. Don't know what I did wrong, but it was necessary.
      VPH-D

Comment

I think that OEM plates all have the folded back area to clear the clutch arm. I have seen repops with out the fold,the manufactures of the repop plates must have thought the bend should not be there and omitted it.

Pete.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, seems your observations are as mine... I am needing to parkerize the plate, and wanted to know if it needed to be straightened before doing so. Anyone else have knowledge or an opinion to share?

Highlander :{>

Comment

Working...
          X