LED lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED lights

I am getting ready to take my annual cross country trip this year to the road runs in Yosemite and Death Valley and plan on riding my 39 EL which is still 6 volt. I am currently building a knuckle for Tom the owner of Auto Gem and he makes these glass license reflectors that have LED dual element lights that work in conjunction with the tailight and brake light. I have them on my 46 FL and 48 FL and they are bright enough to see during daylight, but they are both converted to 12 volt. What I am asking you electro heads in the crowd is how can I convert 6 volt power to 12 volts for these extra lights. With a stock glass lense on my behive tailight you can hardly see it during the night, much less during the day, big safety issue.
    Thanks,
    Carl

I think Eastwood sells a converter, but usually all you need is to change the resistor as I recall most LEDs only use low voltage anyway. Try googling LED circuits, you'll find more than you want to know.
    Good Luck

Steve

Comment

Carl,

The link below should take you to the people that build the 6 to 12 volt inverter that JC Whitney used to sell. I don't think Whitney has these anymore and they are very pricey from the Antique Radio people in Florida.

6 to 12 volt DC Power Inverter

I have installed 6 volt LED bulbs in the single filament Guide DH-49 bullet lights on my 6 volt bikes and they work great! The problem with the 6 volt LED automotive replacements for the dual filament sockets is that they are "directional", the light is projected straight out, parrallel to the socket. When you install them in a Beehive or Tombstone all the light goes up through the clear lens and you get a blinding glare off the license plate, not good!

Does anyone have a source for "right-angle" 6 volt LED replacements for 1154 bulbs that will work in a tombstone taillight?

mike

Comment

Have you considered converting to 12volts? I'm not sure how your 46 and 48 ended up 12 volts, but with Kurt's 12 volt field coils and armatures for 32Es, it's possible to build a 12 volt 32E that, when you add Kurt's regulator, everything externally looks like the stock 6 volt system. It could pass judging! Much better than bolting a 65A generator and matching regulator on. There are about half a dozen such conversions running around here with no problems. If I ever build another Harley big twin this is the setup I'll use. The only trick is to use a low wattage bulb for the generator idiot light to avoid run on after the key is switched off ... Perry

Comment

led lites

all led lites only require 2 or 3 volts to operate. all the lites you buy have a resistor to limit it . if you replace the resister with one of half its value you wont have to change any of your electrics. unless you are really fond of not seeing at nite those 6 volts headlamps were not very bright. I would rather have good lights.

Comment

Howdy Mike,

The closest I've seen to right angle projection are these dual element base index/non index units made to illuminate both a tailight and a vertically positioned license plate. They utilize additional LED's projecting back at the base to aim a little light out to the side while maintaining the profile of the original incandescent to ensure they'll fit.

You can order them here.

Comment

Try 6V halogen bulbs

Originally posted by Carl N. Olsen View Post
              ...With a stock glass lense on my behive tailight you can hardly see it during the night, much less during the day, big safety issue.
              Thanks,
              Carl
              Originally posted by Perry Ruiter View Post
              Have you considered converting to 12volts? I'm not sure how your 46 and 48 ended up 12 volts, but with Kurt's 12 volt field coils and armatures for 32Es, it's possible to build a 12 volt 32E that, when you add Kurt's regulator, everything externally looks like the stock 6 volt system. It could pass judging! Much better than bolting a 65A generator and matching regulator on. There are about half a dozen such conversions running around here with no problems. If I ever build another Harley big twin this is the setup I'll use. The only trick is to use a low wattage bulb for the generator idiot light to avoid run on after the key is switched off ... Perry
              Perry's way to convert to 12V is a very good. I have many customers which are very satisfied with this 'judging proof' system. But on my own Knuckle I still have a good working 6V system and to get more light on the back for more safety I use the 6V halogen bulbs from Ziggy. Also for the springer headlight I use them. The bulbs are not cheap but they are the money worth. I never had any problems with the charging system over a few thousand miles. For me it's the best way to have more light at the front and at the back.
              Martin
              Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

Kurt's 12V Field Coil

Perry ... How do I find "Kurt's 12V Field Coil"? I am attempting to accomplish just what you suggested, but am having a difficult time finding 12V coils that are compatible with the the 32E Generator housing. Also, about the regulator ... where to you install it so it does not show ... does it fit inside the housing? I was thinking of mounting one at the bottom of the horseshoe oil tank, with some insulation and barrier between the battery and regulator. An electrical guy suggested that a small regulator might fit inside the cut-off relay cover, but I can't imagine it would fit. Any suggestions or contacts? Thank you.
                Vic Ephrem
                AMCA #2590

Comment

Looks like with Kurt's new site I can't reliably include a direct link to the products. Anyway, go here:
                  http://flatlandmotorcyclecompany.com/intro/
                  and select "45 Parts Depot", beside "Just Visiting" select your country and then when you're in click on "Electrical". You'll find 12 Volt field coils and armatures for 32Es and a regulator that is built in an original style cut out relay housing ... Perry
                  Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Perry ... you are the man !!! Thanks a million. I was looking at trying to find someone who would custom build the field coils, and trying to figure out what to do with the regulator ... you've provided the answer to both problems. Thanks again. Vic Ephrem
                    Vic Ephrem
                    AMCA #2590

Comment

12 volt LED 1157 type lights for tombstone tailite

Rather than start a new thread I dredged up this one. Has anyone tried the led 1157 type bulbs, that JP sells? They show one in thier catalog that is a 360 degree design, and has leds on the top also for the licence light. I've never heard anyone mention them, either good or bad, have debated whether or not to take a chance at $28.99. Looks like they would work well design-wise.
                      Doug.
                      Doug McLaughlin #6607
                      NorCal, USA

Comment

Another option

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page2.html
                        Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                        1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Working...
                        X