X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility group

From March 1952 American Motorcycling.
    Attached Files

I found this picture the other day in the above mentioned magazine. A partial quote from the article is interesting: "Alex J Connor of San Pedro, Calif. was an Army man for 30 years. Now 69 and retired, he finds plenty of time to enjoy his 1952 Harley-Davidson with footshift, purchased from Eddie Ryan, the dealer in San Pedro."

Obviously, Alex was a plain vanilla kind of guy and this picture confirms that some people ordered utility type H-Ds with very little chrome. He did get the chrome handlebars and risers so he was able to kick in a bit more jack. I wish there was a right side view to see what exhaust system options he went for.

Comment

From February 1952 American Motorcycling.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's another very basic big twin configuration. The bike would be "49 or '50. It would be interesting to know if riders ordered utility group motorcycles for economical reasons or asthetic reasons. I have to say that I am giving a lot of thought to doing my '51 this way becuase I like the austere look.

Comment

Eric,
          Those are great. I guess I'll have to do some shopping to see if I can find a copy of those mags.
          Brian

Comment

bye the bye , it looks as I too well be full ahead on my minimally optoned 51. You can't see it from there , but those pics made my tail wag.
            Brian

Comment

Eric,
              I found an interesting quote the other night wile looking through books I haven't looked at in a long time.The book is " the complete Harley-Davidson" by Tod Rafferty. " Rewind to 1950: concurrent with the drift to less ornate motorcycles came increasing options in accessories. " HMMMM.
              Brian

Comment

I started tearing down my '51. I have been collecting part for years in anticipation of restoring this bike. I have always been on the lookout for genuine Harley parts to replace the wrong year parts and reproduction. I have also been restoring and putting together sub-assemblies for this bike which has been a lot of fun. For years now, I have been noodling with Hendersons, Excelsiors, Indians and J era Harleys. I love these bikes but finding parts and researching these bikes takes a lot of time, money, and persuasion. Working on this Panhead is like going on vacation. Everything I have done so far has been fun and I forgot how well they are documented. My goal is to do it to judging standards without getting too kinky or obsessive. The thing I want to keep in mind is, this is going to be a fun project on a bike that I have loved and enjoyed for many years and a bike that I want to have fun with for many years to come. I'll keep you posted because at some point, something's going to go pear shaped and this forum is a great place to vent.

Comment

You are right , these machines are very well documented. I suppose that's why it puzzles me that you see so very few that are anywhere close to being correct for their year. My project is a total reconstruction, I decided I needed a real challenge, so last year I bought myself a stepped crankpin for my birthday and have been digging up the parts ever since. Some of this stuff I have been saving ,or hoarding, depending on point of veiw, for years with no appearent purpose. It's good to have purpose.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X