4 speed trans compared to 5 spd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed trans compared to 5 spd.

Sorry for asking about a non antique .I was checking my 2 ,4 speed pan transmissions for spring tention on the ratchet top shifter ..They both have loads of tention ...Now for the reason I was checking ..My 91 springer 5 speed shifter no longer returns back to center after a shift ,it just remains all the way down if I down shift into ,say 3rd ,then to downshift into 2nd I have to give it a little help upwards with my toe before it will center itself ,so it will downshift again..Is the tention in the return to center the same on these transmissions ?? My bike had been in a fire before I bought it ,but it always shifted . just this morning I noticed it ,and its bad ..Also the trans has to be tore down to replace this spring ...not nice ..At least it didn't happen in the start of the riding season .Here in Alberta its going to get to chiily for overnight rides before long ,so I guess thats the good thing ..

Make sure your linkage is free and not binding. Remove the link from the lever on the tranny then see if the lever will return to center. (push it back and forth with your hand) . If it flops one way or the other your spring is broken. If not ,then check the foot shifter to see if its free. I have seen where the foot lever shaft binds inside the bracket.

Comment

If the spring is broke it's only about $3.00 for the spring and $300.00 in labor at the HD shop. Or you could pull the primary cover chain and clutch, pull the race off the main shaft, take off the pipes, pull the complete gear cluster, then replace the spring (might as well replace them all while your in there), and reassemble. Your done! Great design huh?

Comment

Working...
      X