On Board Storage For Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Board Storage For Scout

I like to carry stuff with me when I ride - especially the older bikes. I'm not comfortable riding without at least a few basic tools along with an owners manual, registration, insurance card, etc.

All I have on my 1931 101 is the small original tool box. What do others use?

Not sure if I'm going to add saddlebags or a small tool pouch. If I go with saddlebags, what do others recommend. My 101 is a rider, not a show bike, so it does not have to be 100% correct, but it should look appropriate on the bike.

Well.... I have to make do with limited means. As such, I bought saddle bags from horse.com- they look OK on a scout because they are small. Kinda like what was avail. good just to carry oil or stick a jacket in sometimes.

Hummmm.... I've had wires break. ground fault short. gas pipe leak. flat tire rear at 50mph. leaking gas tanks. bad gas - clogged carb bowl. dead battery. oh ya - the latest was broken bell crank on shift rod.

I ride the thing bout 3 times a weeks. Which is quite a bit for an old bike.

reg, insurance papers are kept under the licence plate in a zip lock baggie. shussshhhh... secret.

So these are the riding issues I've had on the sport scout that come to mind over the last two years. Food for thought. I carry minimal tools now. Hope this helps Buzz. Happy trails.

Comment

Adminguy, sounds like we have done some of the same rides - love those Sport Scouts :-) I carry only a few tools if riding less than 100 or so miles and have rarely needed them. If your riding several hundred miles, just do like I do, have a buddy come along with bags, I have Tom Hart carry all the tools :-) He has a huge set of saddle bags. Besides I have to save my saddle bags for oil :-)

Comment

You could bring everything in your garage along except for one small item...............but that will be the item you'll need!

Comment

Bought a real nice set of American made brown leather saddlebags and matching small tool pouch on ebay and they look great and do just what I want for my 101.

These guys are in Mass and make some terrific leather goods. I highly recomend them. I forget their name -0 something like F&J Leather or something like that.

Comment

Working...
          X