Hot Rod 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod 101

After purchasing my "bitsa" 1931 101 Scout and turnign it over to George Yarocki I finally got it back after a successful test road ride today.

All I can say is WOW! This bike needs a good top to bottom cleaning and cosmetic attention, but this thing runs like a scared rabbit. The bike is basically stock and correct but Butch Baer built the engine as a go fast machine with hot cams, recirculating oil, 12 volt and possibly other internal mods. After a good warm up George, who was folloing me in his car, clocked me at over 65 mph today, and I still had plenty of engine left!

I got it home this afternoon and spent an hour or two cleaning it up. It now looks almost as good as it runs!

I hope to run an article on this bike in an upcoming issue of American Iron Magazine. Stay tuned?

Out of curiosity, what are the faster street 101s running on top end? I doubt mine is the fastest, but acording to George it's one of the fastest he's ever ridden.

Max Bubeck has one thats mighty fast, it will do more than 100mph, give em a call - dont know, Butch might of had a hand in building that one too.

Comment

Here I am excited about how fast my little 101 goes, and the next time I take it out for a quick ride it simply doesn't want to run well. Hard to start, doesn't want to idle properly or run well.

It sounded weak and stalled just outside of my driveway. I restarted it and rode it back up my driveway feeling sluggish and underpowered. In the garage I found one of the sparkplu wires had come off. Simple fix and she's running strong again. Oh well....

Comment

Buzz, post a pic or two for us to see!Thanks!

Comment

im wanting a 101 like CRAZY!!! but have had no luck finding. Where are you guys finding them?
          or do any of you have aquaintances who are wanting to have one taken off their hands? i dont care if its a basket case or what.

Comment

Originally posted by shane View Post
            im wanting a 101 like CRAZY!!! but have had no luck finding. Where are you guys finding them?
            or do any of you have aquaintances who are wanting to have one taken off their hands? i dont care if its a basket case or what.
            Sometimes you don't find them, they find you. Here's a photo of mine before I swapped out the tail light, painted the crash bars and seat springs and put on the saddlebags.
            Buzz Kanter
            Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
            [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
            [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Awesome 101 Buzz, take care of it - its a beauty!

Comment

Shane, if you haven't already you should join the 101 Club. They do show up now and then. I too want one of those awesome Injuns in the stable but I never seem to have they dough when the come up for sale!

Buzz....... your machine is absolutely spectacular!!!......
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X