hypothetical situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypothetical situation

Ok I read the manual, looked at the sheet, and it's starting to make sense to me. I’m working on a 62 XLCH. I’m not trying for a perfect restoration, but a nice original looking rider. I’m interested in having it judged someday, so I’m posting this to kinda see where my bike will stand next spring when my winter work plans are done.

So, let me pose a hypothetical situation.
    Judges approach a restored 62 XLCH, and from a distance, it looks good, paint is fresh in original color and schema and the like. Close examination shows a few issues, and the points come off. Starting with the 100 points, how many are lost for…

1) Bendix carb, later air cleaner, later petcock. (should have a linkert dc-10)
    2) Original style seat, but proudly displays “AUG 64” on the bottom
    3) Hardware store bolts where 1038CP bolt should be, on most every bolt on the bike.
    4) 12 volt conversion, using 70 sportster parts.
    5) Lots of chrome where cad or parkerised should be, on lots of small parts, like clamps and bolts.
    6) Case numbers do not match
    7) Kickstart lever is from wrong year.
    8) Lotta repo parts (high quality), including wiring harness, horn, exhaust.
    9) it has a trumpet horn, which was factory on 62 xlh sportsters, but not ch sportsters. Horn is repo.

Thanks for entertaining my curiosity
    Joe

Joe! You need to get involved and go judge some bikes. Then you will be able to figure your stuff out. Easily.....

Comment

Yes you should be involved in the process. Then you will see how it works. Each category on that sheet is four points. There are 25 categories. I think while judging you will get to see how based upon the part compared to the whole category points are counted. You have quite a list there. If you have a sheet you will see all the items listed in the category. It is best to do it to learn it. It is more easily understood when one is involved in the process. Denise

Comment

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
        Yes you should be involved in the process. Then you will see how it works. Each category on that sheet is four points. There are 25 categories. I think while judging you will get to see how based upon the part compared to the whole category points are counted. You have quite a list there. If you have a sheet you will see all the items listed in the category. It is best to do it to learn it. It is more easily understood when one is involved in the process. Denise
        An unrestored machine that has been repainted takes a six point hit in the paint section. As far as I know this is the only exception to the four point rule.
        Also take any section of the judging. Four points is the maximun allowed to be reduced. however it has been explained to me that, lets say, a 1964 machine has the wrong handlebars on it. It would receive a 3 point maximun deduction. Why? because if you took four points that would be saying it had no handlebars at all and not wrong ones.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
        X