Fuel tank sealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank sealing

What is the opinion on sealing a fuel tank on these old indians. I have a pair of tanks that are leak proof, and have not seen any type of sealer. Thanks for any input. Stan

If the tanks don't leak, and don't have a rust problem, I wouldn't do anything about it. I have a set of tanks where the left tank was very rusty inside (made the gasoline look like it was apple cider with pulp). I filled it with rust remover (similar to CLR, but from Zep and specifically the rust remover) that I bought from Home Depot. It did a great job of knocking down the rust, though it is not all bright metal inside. In the future, I'm planning to have the tanks sealed by Renu (Radiator Hospital in the Detroit area), but want to wait because when they do it, they completely strip the tank inside and out, and I'll have to have them repainted. My tanks are not original paint, so no loss there. There are kits that you can do it yourself, but I would expect that the rust removal process would work like mine did, that is, incomplete. If you don't completely remove the rust before sealing it, I think bad things happen. I have a friend at work who thinks that a better thing to do would be to take the tanks to a zinc plater and have them place the anode inside the tank during plating in an effort to primarily plate the inside of the tank. He may be right, but I'm not going to do it that way.

Comment

Look at the post "clear gel in carb bowl", last posted in November from parking lot chatter. A lot of info there.

Comment

Working...
      X