Schebler carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schebler carb

I have Schebler HX189 carb which I bought for my 1919 HD model F from a knowledgable dealer. I know this is an Indian variant and I really should have an HX160 or DLX12 for the Harley but I was told this one would work.

Hours of head scratching have not helped. The mag has been rebuilt and has good output. Fuel inserted into the cylinder will get a cough and there is fuel in the bowl but it won't fire.

Has anyone tried this 'wrong' carb before? Am I correct in thinking it should run or have I just got the wrong part?

I ended up with the 189 because I couldn't find a 160 or 12.

All help will be appreciated as will leads on the whereabouts of a correct carb.

Thanks in advance,

Ian Biddle

Should work. The first thing I'd look for are air leaks in the whole induction system. Is there fuel in the bowl? I will assume you have taken it apart and looked everything over. ..bill

Comment

Leaks checked and fuel in the bowl. I'm thinking maybe the mag could have been an add on rather than original with the bike ... but I don't think so. Its Bosch, but maybe off a different model (wrong angle).

€600 for a replacement carb is a lot if thats not the problem. Something tells me the 189 SHOULD work.

Comment

What is your motor number? Mine is 23JDCA which is the electric model for 1923; ie. generator and electric head light. ...bill

Comment

Engine no is 19A7353. Bike was bought complete (less carb) so presumably the mag is correct.

Comment

From http://www.techsweb.us/hdvin1019.html
            I get "Model 19F - 61ci F-head V- twin, chain drive, magneto ignition, 8.68 HP, number preceded by 19T or 19A, three speed"

Comment

But it still won't start!

Do you think there is a physical reason that the 189 won't work or is it more likely it's a system breakdown that is unrelated to the carb model?

By the way Bill, I see you're from Oregon; by coincidence thats where the carb came from!

Comment

Yes, I'm in Corvallis, ORegon. I have a starting sequence, the individual steps, that may have been posted on this site:
                harleyjd@yahoogroups.com
                I will try to find a printout; I can't located it just now. When was the last time this bike was started? Is the previous owner able to offer any help? ...bill

Comment

The bike was last started a good 50 years ago but of course with a different carb to that currently on the bike.

I'm going to borrow another magneto, do a swap and then try again.

I just wonder if anyone out there in web world has been 'forced' into making the same carb swop and managed to get their bike going.

Comment

Bill, that link appears to be an e-mail address rather than a web page.

Comment

you're right. This should work better:
                      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/
                      Also, here is an article on leak testing your induction (carb) system.
                      http://www.virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Comment

I don't know much about these bikes. But are you sure you dont have an indian 42 degree mag.

Comment

If there is any doubt about your spark to the spark plug, mag or gen type system, use a timing light. Even with a foot kick you should get a spark when the motor moves around to that point. Get a friend to help hold the light, maybe at night when things are dark. If you don't have a light, just jumping the spark plug lead to the case will throw a spark. On old time told me that if the motor doesn't start it's "fire or fuel." Next, if you get spark, make sure it is at the correct point in the cycle of the piston. Don't assume anything. And don't start pulling things apart/out just yet. Think about it. ...bill

Comment

Here is an index to a number of technical specs relating to Harley that is printed at the back of the Competition Distributing Co.'s parts catalog. A good catalog to have on hand by the way.
                            http://www.competitiondist.com/parts14.htm
                            I'm still looking for the bike's starting sequence. ...bill

Comment

spark plugs

Are you using original spark plugs, or new ones that you can get at NAPA. (they're really big as they're used in tractors now) I would probably use new plugs until you get it trouble shot and running. Then you can try old/original plugs for show. ...bill

Comment

Working...
                              X