Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head bearing cups?

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there is an externally visible difference between the 49 to59 bearing cups and the 59 and later cups?
    Thanks, Brian.

If you have the 16 roller bearings that is correct for the early pans. I bought new bearings and cups for my 51 and found out later I should have goten the early cups and bearings so the fork tins would fit correctly. the ones I found were 19 roller bearings, must be for 60 on up. Someone suggested calling a Mark Blankenship, Sounds like he makes the old style which is no longer produced. Let me know if you want his number and I'll try to find it...Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike,
      I thought as much. I would be intersted in that phone number if you can find it. Sounds like you haven't bought any from him yet. I was wondering about th quality of the parts.
      I too am in the process of building a 51 pan, and was also wondering how original and complete yours was when you started ? I may have a few other questions for you , if you don't mind. Mine is being peiced together from scratch, and I've been doing a lot of research.
      Brian

Comment

Mark Blankenship (304) 697-1445 , 9-5(EST) Leave a message. His cups, when used with 16 roller timken bearings, stack up to the correct height so the tins line up correctly on the trees (no rat tailing out the holes to fit). I got his name over on Hydra glide .net , plumber knows him and passed his name along. My 51 was a good looking pan but the previous owner never fixed anything or noticed serious safety conditions. Once I started dissasembleing I wound up re-building the whole bike. I still need risers and bars, but thats for winter. Mike

Comment

Thanks for the info . I'll give him a call. I was wondering is your 51 an early or a late production? Mine is a late , and I'm trying to find out a what points some of the changes occured that year. Maybe you could help with that also. Thanks again
          Brian

Comment

51 vs 50

hi
            just thought I'd jump in here. I redoing a 1950 pan. Well at least I took off the saddlebags so far, so I'll be listening in on your posts. I'm not sure of the changes from 50 to 51 other than some things I read in palmers how to restore book.

moose

Comment

Mines' not stock, seems I like chrome....but I did restore some of the original features, like the seat post,fork lock ,steering dampener,oil filter as well as rebuilt from the ground up to new bike. Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice looking ride and yes your chrome fetish is showing. But I have seen photos from 1951 enthusiast's that show brand new bikes with almost as much chrome. I do see a lot of updated parts, looks like it should be a good rider as well as alooker . thanks again , Brian

Comment

great looking bike, who did your chrome I've got to get a lot on my 50 redone
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have a guy that I've used thru the years That lives near my home 20 mi. north of Mpls. His name is Pat, Phone number 763-420-8775. He does nice work. Mike

Comment

BMH, I spoke with Mark Blankenship today and ordered a set of 49-59 cups he said he would enclose the part numbers for the 16 roller bearings and races which are a stock item at any bearing supplier. 60.oo for the cadmium cups which is the stock plateing. Mike

Comment

That's about what I paid for a set of late cups the other year from the " Hundred Dolllar" dealer for my 71. So I'll be ordering a set myself in the next few days. Thanks again
                        Brian

Comment

Also, Moose,
                          Nice looking 50. What color is that?

Comment

Hi BMH
                            I have a very late unrestored 51 that has never had the wiring loom off the frame, but it has been painted twice over the original blue by previous owners. Mine is so late in the 51 run that it has the 1952 only front engine mount, but still has the early top engine mount

Comment

color

it is some sort of burgandy but pretty rough. will be redoing this winter

moose

Comment

Working...
                              X