Overhead Cam Excelsior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead Cam Excelsior

The overhead cam Excelsior from 1919 has been reconstructed using photos and some original drawings. The originals were all ordered destroyed when Bob Perry was killed testing one in Jan 1920 by the heartbroken Ignatz Shwinn, who was like a father to Perry. They were the most ferocious racer of the board track era.

Continued: The system threw me out for some reason.
    Anyway, the bike was officially started today, and sounds more powerful than any motorcycle of that era. It has all bevel driven valve gear, and magneto like a Cyclone, but differs in that the porting is much larger and better flowing, and the combusion chamber shape is far more modern in nature, the valve gear is stronger, and the valve angle is 67 degrees. Compression ratio is 10:1, and the engine is expected to produce in excess of 50BHP. The all up weight is 176 lbs. No brakes, and no clutch.
    See it at Wauseon, Hebron, and Davenport, all going well. I'll also have it at the Empire Road Run, but will be riding a more pedestrian Nimbus on the road.
    Pete Gagan

Comment

Congrats Pete - cant wait to see and hear it !!!

Comment

That's great news Pete!!! It's nice to hear that projects like this get finished and will be ridden! A few of us were speculating awhile back on a top speed....you'll have to let us know when it's broke in well enough to crank it up......... I hope to get to have a listen to that beast one day......... it's a beautiful machine!!!

Comment

Pete is so understated. The culmination of two years of labour was brought to life as we gathered to hear the OHC Excelsior roar to life. It was spectacular! It sounded much better than any other board tracker I have ever heard at Davenport. A clean crisp powerful roar. WOW!!! Eight valve machines had better tune up to compete against this baby. It sounds great!

Here are some photos from this historical day. Remember that this was recreated from two photographs.

Video Clips:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3aTiqiLeA

Shot by Fiona -Pauls sister
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUAaH5kI6e0

Shot By Petes son Geoff Gagan. Congrats on the proposal Geoff!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZUB0QEKK8
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

running. Pete on board. Paul Brodie with starter.

The overhead cam Excelsior was the most outrageous American racing motorcycle built during the board track era. The originals were ordered destroyed in 1920 by heartbroken Excelsior boss Ignatz Shwinn following the death of ace factory rider Bob Perry on one of the machines. Perry was lapping at 20 mph faster than
              any previous machine had travelled, and was exceeding well over 100 mph.
              The "new" Excelsior has been fabricated from original photos and drawings, and is a faithful re-inactment of the original.
              Attached Files

Comment

running 2
                Attached Files

Comment

A very proud moment!
                  Attached Files

Comment

left side
                    Attached Files

Comment

right side
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Admin how about a video so we all can enjoy! Surly someone took one?

Comment

Awesome pics!!!!!!! They do tell a story in themselves....... a video would be priceless....... it sounds like it's on it's way.........

Comment

We have some good video. Watch this space.
                            Pete

Comment

Wish I could of been there, I would of paid to attend and would of been happy to do it - awesome stuff !! Congrats !

Comment

Working...
                              X