Tillotson Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tillotson Carbs

Hi, I am restoring a 1967 xlch and it did not come with the original Tillotson carb. My question is about the model numbers on them. My unrestored 1969 xlch has a model HD1C Tillotson carb. Would this also be the correct model for a 1967 xlch? I have been looking for one on ebay, but most of the ones that I see are either HD2D or HD1B. I know these other models might work, but I am more concened with correctness since I am restoring the bike for judging.
    Thanks!
    Jerry

Sportster Jerry, Since no one has chimed in with info, I'll give it a go....even though its over a month ago that you asked.

My HD Factory parts book shows the same Tillotson carb part number 27162-66C used on Sportster Models XLH and XLCH for the years 1966-1971.

NOTE: The only differances showing in the parts book for these years are the insulating mounting blocks. The square block that goes between the carb and intake manifold. The Part number for this item for the year 1967 is #27012-67 used on 67-69 XLCH. Although the parts book shows differant numbers for different insulating blocks, the diaghram for the part is the same.

As to whether this part number for the carb in the Parts Book being a Tillotson HD1C, I'm not sure. But I would say that if your 69 has the correct stock carb, then it would be correct also for the 67.

As to the differance in the Tillotson numbers following HD they would seem to be sequential, lower numbers and letters being made earlier on with higher numbers being minor improvements to the original carb or as a year of manufacture designation change??

I'll keep looking for more info. Anyone else able to add to this info?

Judges...would that differance in sequential numbers on the same carb body be enough to deduct points?? Hrdly

Comment

Thanks for the response. I found another HD1C, so I am planning on using unless I hear otherwise about its correctness for a 1967 xlch. I have the same problems with Linkert carbs for Sportsters will all the different numbers: dc-1, dc-12, dc-7, etc. It would be great if there was someplace you could get a list of which models go with which year.

Anyway, thanks again. By the way, do you know anyone who does a good job of rebuilding tillotson carbs?

-Jerry

Comment

Working...
      X