AMCA European Chapter Meet 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA European Chapter Meet 2007

Excellent meet of AMCA European Chapter June 29 to July 1, 2007 in Dinkelsbuehl, Germany.
    More than 100 beatiful bikes of various makes (Harley, Indian. Cleveland, Henderson, Tornax, Mabeco, FN, Excelsior,...)
    This Henderson 6 cylinder was my favorite.
    Attached Files

That "6" is so cool. It must have been a challenge to build.
    What are those handlebars? They are a bit shorter and perhaps narrower than those on my '27 "4" Deluxe. Those in the photo would be easier for me to use because they wouldn't interfere with my knees. :-)

Comment

very nice. Any people photos? People and bikes etc?

Comment

Maybe KJ handelbars ? never seen a 6 cylinder - to cool !!!

Comment

Okay, here's where I show just how uninformed I really am....... Did Henderson build a "6", or was that a project bike?
          Whichever it is, I like it. But then, with 3 CBXs, I fond of 6's.

Comment

Henderson and Indian never made a 6. Unfortunately there are more than just this example of a 6 cylinder Henderson and Indian. These travesties were all commited years ago when this stuff was dirt cheap. Nobody in their right mind would do such destructive thing today. However, you do have to admire the skill it takes to make a 6.

Comment

While I can see your point, calling the "6"s a travesty. But they were a natural progresson for gear heads wanting to tinker.
              Making "6"s out of these is comparable to making a V-12 out of a CBX (There's one in So-Cal), or the fellow in England who built the Kaw Z-1 V-8. These bikes too are becoming collectable and thus valuable.
              Of course, value is relative. For me, buying the Henderson was a HUGE investment. For some well heeled olde pharte, it's chump change.

Comment

Everything I've heard says that sixes were mostly built from blown up junk motors. Not many people would have torn apart a perfectly good motorcycle to get involved in a project of this depth. There was an article in the club magazine a while back about a member who's still building them, including a V6. We have plenty of restored originals. Machines like this are no less interesting.

Comment

I've restored more than a few 4 cylinder motorcycles and there is no such thing as a blown up junk motor. I have a very good friend who made an Indian 6 many years ago. He is rightly proud of the engineering and craftsmanship that went into the project but he is quick to say he would never think of doing such a thing today. As for the KJ V-6, the builder made his own block and didn't ruin genuine stuff.

To give you an idea of how cheap this stuff was. I have a friend who's father collected Indian 4's back in the 50's and 60's. The best one he had cost him $125. He also recalled visiting an ex-dealer in Georgia who had numerous 4 motors on outdoor shelves. His dad picked out a suitable bottom end for $20.

Comment

I have some more photos of the Henderson 6 and of the meet in general. Any idea where I can post them?

Comment

Post them right here Ralf, I'd love to see them.

Exceric, I'd better clarify my statements. Remember, these are all personal opinions. By your own admission, years ago complete bikes could be had cheap and a suitable bottom end for $20. I think it's safe to say that a blown one was considered junk. I love one-offs and specials and I greatly appreciate the amout of work it took to build one of these. I've only seen a few sixes but none have been poorly constructed. I think"travesty" is an inappropriate word for them. A guy in my area has one he built a while back. He's retired now but was the best machinist I've ever met. Besides welding two crankcases together, he forged his own crank and cast and machined his own carb. It's a work of art. My own opinion is that restoring one of these sixes back to original would be the only travesty. Todays standards are different and I agree with you that nothing about a blown four motor is considered junk but I still feel that if someone has the parts and skill to build one he should go for it. I'd hate to see a good bike modified into a six but it's still a free country.

Comment

Carl in Colorado. Don't you guys read the magazine?

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
                          Carl in Colorado. Don't you guys read the magazine?
                          Yep, but I don't memorize them.
                          For the Grand Prize,,,which issue?

Comment

Just remember, every 6 cylinder bike you see means there is at least one less 4 cylinder in this world. I know Carl, he is a very talented man.

Comment

Just got home from that great meet. The city closed the ancient town center from all other vehicles except old motorcycles. (not the other way!) The mayor wished us welcome next year. Thanx to Fritz and the gang.
                              Fiskis & Sven
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X