Out For A Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out For A Ride

Rode my '20 Sport Model out to a couple Harley parties a couple weeks ago. Freaked the local dealer and HOG club out when I rode it in. Of course most didn't have a clue as to what is was, let it drip some oil by the service dept for a while and then split.
    Attached Files

It's Rustolicious!

Good job Louie!

Comment

Not to mention Rusteriffic!!!!!!! Keep 'em guessing man!!!!

Oh, by the way is that a "factory" authorised tour pak on that sled of yers??? Peace Dude!!!........

Comment

Ya, thats my DOT approved helmet. I was riding without a tail/brake light, license plate, registration, and insurance so I figured what the hay, live dangerously.

Comment

twin

hey louie,nice bike.do you have a closer pic of the muffler.i have one of those on the shelf ,looks just like that one .i never knew what it was for.thanks

Comment

I'll get you some pics of the muffler and post or email to you.

Comment

Great story and picture; I like the oil on the dealer's parking space. A sad commentary that most riders there did not recognize what it was. ...bill

Comment

Yeah, what is it?

Some English motorcycle?

Is it really as smooth as a sewing machine?

Comment

great helmit!!!! thats really cool!! a ride like that is worth 2 twinkies (twin cams)

Comment

Smoothest HARLEY ever built.....that's what I tell the yuppies at the dealership.
                    English bike????? bite your tongue!

Comment

Then do these folks in turn ask you where they too could purchase such a comfortable machine???..........

Comment

My suspicion is that during WWI Arthur Davidson went over to England and saw how successful the Brit motorcycle industry was and brought the idea for the Sport Model home with him. Another attempt to put the masses on 2 wheels.

Was there a Douglas opposed twin or other Brit opposed twin of similar design that already existed?

I think there was but am too lazy to look it up and verify it....

PS: I really like the Sport's big chainguard. I had aftermarket Dixie big enclosed guards on my Panheads and they helped a lot.

The smooth silent operation and clean enclosed chain show the philosophy behind the Sport Model was to civilize the motorcycle. Compared to the modern generation of headache producing barking Harleys that would have the Founders spinning in their graves and I doubt they would approve of so much noise.

Comment

I think Douglass was one of if not the first horizonal twin and with probably the inspiration for the Sport model and refined to make the BMW. I also think the Sport model was way ahead of it's time like the HD Cafe Racer. But you know how us Yanks like the big displacement motors with it's stump pulling power. Who cares if it vibrate a LITTLE........

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman
                            I think Douglass was one of if not the first horizonal twin and with probably the inspiration for the Sport model and refined to make the BMW. I also think the Sport model was way ahead of it's time like the HD Cafe Racer. But you know how us Yanks like the big displacement motors with it's stump pulling power. Who cares if it vibrate a LITTLE........
                            I agree. Bill Harley had BIG plans for the Sport Model. If you ever see a patents book for Harley you'll find a futuristic stamped frame Sport Model that looks quite cool to my eyes.

You would think that the rear cylinder would be prone to overheating under severe conditions, but I don't know that it was. Any clue on that? Hap Scherer rode the bejeezus out of a Sport Model thru the west and set records and it didn't seem to conk out on him.

I checked the Douglas (MC Panorama. 1974. p.54): "As with every Douglas that emanated from the Bristol factory, est. in 1909 when the firm began making machines fitted with the Barter design of horizontally-opposed engine..."

I don't know who Barter was, but he seems to have invented the Douglas flat-twin. And with a beginning way back in 1909, there's little doubt that Arthur or someone from H-D was aware of it, probably first hand during a trip over there during WWI.

One test ride would show what a great smooth civilized bike the opposed twin could be so let's make one.

Didn't Indian make one too?

Comment

Yup.......Indian made the Model O from 1917 to I believe 1919. I think Harley introduced their model in 1919....... Hmmmmmm......maybe Indian got the idea from Douglas and Harley borrowed it from Indian?????..........

Comment

Working...
                              X