1956 FLE Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 FLE Heads

Went to the AMCA meet in Dixon recently and had our 1956 FLE judged. Fairly accurate judging and we really appreciated the results.

However.............

One item they "gigged" us on was having "incorrect heads."

Can anyone tell us if there is a difference between FLH and FLE heads? Is there a fin count difference? Are there only two fins by the sparkplug hole instead of three? Did the FLEs have a different intake lip where the manifold connects?

Any discussion on this would appreciated.

Again, overall the judges at Dixon were right on the money except for this possible discrepency.

By the way, that meet was A LOT OF FUN!!!!!!

My thanks to the Ft. Sutter Chapter of the AMCA. See you next year!!

Rockin' Ronny O!

I know there is a difference between early and late '56 heads. The production number matters. I think the heads all looked the same for all the models made. Is the casting mark on the head covered by the valve cover? This is a combination of what I know, and what I've read. I have a friend down the road that just put a '56 head on his '52, to get it on the road, so I have seen this. He had already converted to O-ring style intakes.

Comment

I think the casting numbers are covered by the "pans" as I couldn't see any when I looked. I'll keep researching as well.

By the way, this Panhead is for sale. Please see the For Sale section of the AMCA Forum.

Thanks.

Rockin' Ronny O!

Comment

Look at the bottom side of the head where the pushrod tubes enter.

Comment

So how does one tell the difference between FL and FLE heads? There isn't any difference... I thought the only difference between FL and FLH heads was internal. [springs, ports]
          VPH-D

Comment

FLE

I'm checking on the heads for you, but from looking at your pix, it may have been the cylinders, I believe all panheads had silver painted cylinders

Comment

True enough about the cylinders. They should have been silver. My dad said he painted them black because it looks better

Comment

I dug out a 1957 Panhead parts book and there is a difference between the 74" OHV and the 74" FLH heads. Two different part numbers.

I do indeed believe the differences are internal. So, is it possible that because they are a "different" head, they have a different casting? In which case the casting numbers should be different?

Interesting thread, isn't it?

Comment

The head we got for my friend's 52 says 56 right on it. His 52 says 52 right on it. The 56 has 7 fins, and they are longer than the ones on the 52 head. So his 56 head is marked with the number, year, and front or rear on each head. So if you don't feel the number on the underside, between the pushrods, then it is on top under the covers. Do you have the 12 hole aluminum d-rings?

Comment

The casting says 56. However, there are a bunch of smaller letters and numbers I couldn't read because the sidecar is attached and it was really hard to get a good position to really look up there.

Some of the numbers/letters go in between the pushrods so I couldn't get a good look.

The heads have 7 fins (three of which are by the sparkplug holes). They have the 12 screw re-inforcement D-rings.

I took a look at a 1961 parts book and it shows H-D part number:

16702-55A front head 55-61 FL and FLH
                    16703-55A rear head 55-61 FL and FLH

16708-55A front head 55-61 FLH only
                    16709-55A rear head 55-61 FLH only

Based on those part numbers, it's possible because the casting number on my FLE is 56 (could reflect the upgrade to the dash -55A number) that the bike has "incorrect heads" because it would have had a 55 casting?

Interesting.

I appreciate the feedback so far. We'll get to the bottom of this (or is that, we'll get to the head of this? LOL)

Comment

You didn't say where the numbers are Top or bottom? What did the judges tell you was wrong with the heads in the first place? What year(s) did they say they were proper for? I hate to go by just info I read, because so much of it is wrong.
                      Mike

Comment

As I recall, the size of the fins increased a couple times (primarily around the exhaust port) and the casting number was the same (-56) for all variants ... Perry

Comment

The numbers were on the bottom of the head.

Comment

Oh, almost fogot, we didn't get a chance to speak with the judges. The judging was running a little late and we couldn't stay for the awards banquet that night.

Comment

I am not sure, but with 56 cast into the heads, and 12 screws for the covers, (which there were retro fits done to the 6 screw earlier models, to help stop the leaks), thses seem to be early model 56's. I talked to an older dealer who said that, at least from 56 to 60 or so, the number on the heads did conform to the model year. Earlier, they didn't. This will be interesting to learn the definitive answer to your question about your bike. Let us know when you do. Hopefully, in the meantime, you will be riding it. Nobody can see those numbers when you are on the road.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X