No announcement yet.

Servicar springer leaning to the right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicar springer leaning to the right.

My servicar springer is leaning to the right. Does that make me a Republican? Just kidding. I have a 1953 Servicar and love it. Don't ask why, I just do...

It is pretty original and runs great. The only thing is that the front wheel leans to the right. I measured the space from the ground to the bottom of the rockers by the axel. The right side is 12 inches off of the ground and the left side is 12 5/8 inches off of the ground. 5/8th is a lot and probably why the wheel is leaning.

The wheel bearings and neck are tight and good. I just don't know if there is a way to adjust the springer to get the right side up 5/8th of an inch.

Any ideas?

Paulc

Paul, You may have a wallered out hole in a fork leg. When a rocker stud gets loose and runs that way for a while, the hole for the stud gets elongated and you will see a difference in height like you describe.

Comment

It all seems tight. Would'nt both sides wear out at the same pace? The rocker isn't even 5/8th of an inch thick.

I guess I am just looking for an easy way to adjust a springer. I know, no such thing.

Comment

It would'nt take much wear to let it lean like that a little dirt on one side or lack of lube could cause it. I have seen many rockers worn at different rates on the same bike but before I spent any more time and money on it I would measure and make sure it was not extended then cut back down. old chopped front ends are a dime a dozen but original are more. unless you know for sure check it out also measure and test your springs to make sure they are equal in size and strenght if everything looks good try adjusting the low side a little tighter

Comment

Wow! Two good ideas. I have been measuring from the axle down and never up. I will try that when I get home.

I did not know the springs were adjustable, how do I adjust them?

Comment

Both spring fork legs work together as a unit, adjusting them individually would only put a bind on the spring action. Like Koanes suggested, check for wear in the rockers/forkleg area. Mike

Comment

I have adjusted a springer with a lean the rods did not bind and it did work

Comment

I don't understand how adjusting the springs differently could change the angle of the wheel (left to right). The spring fork legs come together as a unit below the springs. Or am I insane? Mike

Comment

a while back I put a 47 knuck together. I found a original springer for it at a swap meet I rebushed it after I found a lean in it. then I assembled it I turned both sides equally. when I got it on the road I had a pull to the right on both sides of thr road ( just in case it was the crown) I finally took the springs out and made a crude spring tester with a torque wrench the old springs were not even close. after putting it back together I checked and found it still had a lean. i tightened one side up and road it it was better but i had to go a little tighter on that side after that I could let go of the bars and it tracked straight. I could still measure a lean but it was so small you could not see it. being the only corrective action I took (tightening one side)that day It worked. I suspect that since the springs are not in the dead center they do have a effect on how that wheel stands. after that episode a old springer man showed me a way he does it using a in/pound torque wrench to adj his springers(both sides the same)I did everything in my previous post first before i did this .

Comment

Working...
                  X