Aftermarket Model 65B Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Model 65B Generator

I bought an aftermarket Model 65B Generator on ebay. There are no "A" and "F" marks on the posts.

What is the best way to check to see which one is the armature post and which one is the field post.?

65B is kinda new for me so I don't have any doc here on them. I would assume they're the same as the 65A with the Field on the right and Armature on the left. If you have a multimeter, set it to ohms and take a reading between each terminal and decent ground on the generator body. The terminal with the higher reading should be your F terminal (it has to go through the field coils and the armature to get to ground, the A terminal just has to go through the armature). If you just have a battery, hook battery negative to a good ground on the generator body and to the suspected F terminal. Hook battery positive up to the suspected A terminal and it should motor. If you got them backwards (suspected A is actually F) you'll get a decent spark (essentially it's a dead short) ... Perry

Comment

Thank you for the assistance. The info you have given should do the trick.

And... after some research, I haven't been able to find a 65B either.

Comment

I never heard of a 65b either and I have seen hundreds that I repaired over the years. I had a 65 (no letter) as it was the first model 65 but it was only used for a half a year then replaced with the 65a. one interesting thing tho the f and a terminals were reversed. most of these were rewired and the a&f were ground off and restamped as a 65a. the last one I had I sold to a guy in our club on the east coast (virginia I think) a couple of years ago. I would pop the end off and make sure and not assume anything. I you have a late 64 or real early 65 this would be the correct generator but h-d has NO info in any books about them that I have found. (by the way I hope our judges dont read this)

Comment

Working...
        X