VL total loss oiling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL total loss oiling system

How does the total loss oiling system work? Does the oil flow from the tank to the oil pump, from the pump into the connecting rod bearing (as in my sportster) or does it get pumped into the crank case for splash lubrication? From the crank case does the oil get blown into the cam gear case on the piston down stroke then leak out onto the ground? What about the primary chain case and rear chain? How does the hand oil pump tie into the system, does it pump oil into the auto oil pump discharge port to supplement auto pump feed into the engine? And for the long distance riders out there, how much oil is consumed per tank full of gasoline?
    I'll be looking for a VL to restore in the near future and this info would help greatly. Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Cliff: My 34 VLD averages about 175 to 200 miles per quart of Castrol 50 wt. at 50-55 mph. The bike always leaves a few drops on the pavement from the primary cover when I park it on the side stand. The primary chain gets plenty of oil. I closed off the rear chain oiler and use chain lube instead. ( Chainlube doesn't fly off like oil.) The hand pump moves oil from the oil tank directly into the crankcase. The only time I use the hand pump is to put oil back in the crankcase after I drain the crankcase (about every 500 miles). Oil consumption will increased as the speed is increased. I would suggest that you obtain a copy of Steve Slocombes book on VLs. It contains a wealth of info. Besides, if you are going to restore a VL, you are likely to need parts, and the book provides you with part numbers.

Good luck with your project, Ollie.

Comment

cjcampo,
      If you are interested in a very rough 37VLD to restore sent me an e-mail. The gentleman I got my 45WL from is selling off his collection of older cycles and has one. It will need alot of work but it's all there except for a left side gas cap and taillight lense which I've been trying to find for him for the past 2yrs with out any luck. It is the oldest and roughest machine in his collection but I'd love to own it.

I've been trying to get him to agree on a reasonable price for one of his knuckle heads but he is old and stubborn. I need to hit that damn lottery. -Steve

Comment

Ollie and Steve,
        Thanks for the replies. Steve, I would be interested in the '37 VLD, probably not until the winter. As long as the bike is straight, rough I can handle, I just restored a rough XLCH. I'll email you later.
        Cliff

Comment

Working...
        X