best year indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best year indian

What would be your opinion on the mose desireable year of indian teens,20's, 30's, 40's. I think the 30's would be my choice.Stan

I would have to say pre-teens, teens, twenties, thirties, forties and early fifties...........I'm a little partial...........

Comment

i am in agreement with co ,allthough i think their very best bikes we produced between 1901 and 1953,tom

Comment

What do you mean "desirable Indian"? Is there such a thing?
        Carl a Harley guy!

Comment

I think you would be hard pressed to find motorcycles from any manufacturer that excelled Indian from 1901 thru 1917. For sheer quality of machine work, castings, and forgings, Harley Davidson was their only equal. Combined with material quality was engineering quality that easily put them out front and at the top in sales. Hedstrom and Hendee were devoted to quality as were the Davidsons and Harley.

I had a 1924 Big Chief that I thought was very rugged. I thought it was beautiful too, but I don't think a lot of people shared my opinion of Big Chiefs or 20's vintage Indians in general.

30's vintage Indians are stone cold gorgeous. You can say whatever you want about a '36 knucklehead but it doesn't hold a candle next to a '36 Chief in the looks department.......And I'm a Harley guy.

I think Indian still had Harley beat in looks through the 40's. Knuckleheads got fat and sloppy looking where Indian just got voluptuous.

These are strictly asthetic and personal opinions. There are a million other reasons why I like Indians and Harley and why one brand had the other beat.

Comment

Humm... I agree Indians 36-39. For looks skirted. Knuck 38-39.
            Crockers have really nice lines also. Big indian influence.
            A 101 with a late 45 top end or an OHV is a nice rider. Low center of gravity, good suspension.

29 Indian fours have those nice curved header pipes. 29 I think. Always liked the look of that.

It all depends on what you personally like. Everyone is different.
            I've seen so much Indian red -I'm excited when I see anything but. Dupont years put out some wild color combos. All dependant upon what your into. The paint, the machine, the handling, the history? All of the above?

Comment

Hey Paul wasnt this about INDIANS ??? my favorite ones are the 40s but everyone made is better than any HD on any day !!! Harley Harley made of tin ride em out pushem in !!!!!

Comment

You know it Inline.............

Comment

For my part, I was only commenting on the asthetic merits of Indians and Harleys. I wouldn't touch the reliability or performance debate between H-D and Indian with a 10 foot motorcycle pole. . . . except to say the Harley big twins were 4 speed hemi's and Indians were 3 speed flat heads.

Comment

Come on Eric.......you can level with us........we can take it........har..har......

Comment

Stan was just asking what years of Indians are most desirable. I think the consensus whould point to 30's vintage Indians. That's strictly an opinion. Harley Davidson should not even be mentioned in this post since it's about Indians. I own Indians and Harleys and I love them both but I have to confess that it really irks me when someone bashes one brand against the other. Also, I have to say that in my many years in this club I have found that the Indian guys are often the first to throw the first epithet.

Comment

I've just conducted a very scientific study to answer the question. I've parked three Harleys and one Indian in my car garage where I park and come in the house each day. I've measured the length of eye gaze spent looking at each bike. as well as the bike my eye goes to first. The contestants are a '06 HD ultra, a '68 HD e-glide, a '25 HD JE, a Yamaha dirt bike, and a
                        '43?Indian military scout with period paint.

The winner by a beatiful nose, the little Indian. And I love those Harleys too. Steve

Comment

After spending all week on the above study, I now realize it was terribly flawed, and answered only the most obvious of questions, that being what is most attractive in my meager garage. To fully answer the question I will need to throw out the HDs and secure several Indian's, preferably through kind donation. I think an '04 Camelback, '14 board tracker, a teens Powerplus, 20s Big Chief, a 101 Scout, '39 Four, and '40 and '46 Chief will do the trick. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I must confess that I have had a life-long love affair with most early American motorcycles. Indians just seem to keep floating to the top on my favorites list. The 101 Scouts are absolute gems and the 30's Chiefs are pretty sweet. I've also grown rather partial to my '41 Scout..... I would never join in the Harley's vs. Indians debate......it's just not worth it......... It was a battle for back in the day when things were current...... a lot of us have missed that boat...........

scd that's a pretty impressive line-up you've requested.....let's hope you have at least one taker.........

Comment

Indian versus Harley, not again - give it up. That battle ended long ago, time to face it. Indians are my favorite, but the JD's have made me a real fan too. I think my favorite Indian the Sport Scout, though I like almost all of em. Those old sprung frame teens machines - neat stuff. Dont want to throw any stones - but Hendersons rule!! Boy I bet I have gotten a bunch of Thor riders mad now.

Comment

Working...
                              X