Preserving old paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving old paint

I've been fortunate enough to have a Henderson DeLuxe follow me home and take up residence in my garage. It's a bit tattered, but looks like it may have been restored, or at least repainted, a long time age.
    After 4 months of looking at it, I decided it needed some cleaning. I gave it a bath with S-100 and cold water, using a parts cleaning brush on the wheels/spokes/engine and anywhere else where a lot of grease and oil had built up.
    When I was done, there were light spots in the paint, mainly on the frame rails. Also a few water spots on the fenders, where it looked almost like they were bleached. I doubt it was caused by the S-100, because I waas careful to rinse it quickly, and the spots also appeared one time when I just rinsed dust off the bike without any cleaning agents.
    After drying, I used some Eagle 1 polish/sealer. The bike shines like new paint, except where the paint is rough or worn. And nearly all of the light spots are now gone.
    So, was it okay to use the Eagle 1? (Hope so, 'cause it's too late to do anything else). And why the faded spots on the paint?
    I'm guessing this bike was painted with an old porous enamel, but I really don't know for sure.
Working...
X