Used parts on EBAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used parts on EBAY

I amazed to see someone offer used trans gears with chipped teeth for sale on EBAY, and someone will bid on it. Today I see a few used crank pins for sale. I would think with all the repops on the market it would be just as good to buy them for just a little more. Stan

I believe that many people buy these parts to build a junk bike and sell it to some RUBE for high dollars. Sales pitch= Whoooooo.... just look at that beautiful paint job. You'd look great on this bike.

So sad....

Comment

Yup, I too think that this happens. It's a terrible thought, but I think there are those that do it. Unless your knowingly walking into a project, the seller should do the right thing and make the bike run right. Or at least be honest with the troubles that it does have. I'd end up with a guilt complex if I sold somebody a junker without being truthful about it. I say sort the gremlins out and there will be more old bikes on the road......

Comment

I did a set of fork seals for a friend once on his used bike. The previous owner had used JB weld to fill deep scoring on the fork legs. THe more I looked the worse it got.

I've seen a few antique bikes on the road that shouldn't be. The owners are very embarrassed. They get fustrated and are forced to fork out big doe to rebuild -or start to learn how to do things themselves. THe second option is best here as over the long term they know what they have.

We try to break the bad news to guys real easy. As in - let me help you with some options and a game plan.

Comment

You can laugh, or scoff, at the JB Weld, but it works. I would never use it to sell junk for profit, but I certainly use it for my own projects.
          I have used it on fork tubes and brake pistons, with excellent results. Pits must be clean and free of scale. Use a pick and then alcohol to clean the part, apply JB Weld, and after it hardens, use a dull file, then emery paper to finish. Did a brake piston on a Honda CBX back in '95 this way, and it's still working just fine. Pits in fork legs are done the same way. I have a GL1000 front end on my CB750k2, and it was repaired using this method.
          Of course this type of repair is only used when the pits are small. The idea is that the JB Weld lets the seal ride on a smooth surface, and so doesn't develope a leak.
          A friend who is a retired developement engineer from Ford first told me of these uses for the "miracle epoxy". He said they would try to find where it could be defeated, but it just worked nearly everywhere they tried it.

Comment

J-B Weld is one of the few goobers that still seems to resist P4gas, so far.

Last year at D-port, I witnessed an prominent restorer buy back the junk motor parts from a customer he had sold the crap to several years before as a raw basket....it worked once, why not try it again!

....Cotten

Comment

Working...
            X