first run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first run

Just in time for memorial day I've fired up my 45. It is now officially a used NOS motor,no turning back. Following Jack Hesters breakin routine and have a few questions. Heat seem to be a major worry with the 45's,vacuum leaks etc. I have one of those fancy infared heat tracers and wonder if anybody knows what kind of temps I should expect on cylinders,aluminum heads,exhaust ports etc. I.ve installed a clear return line from the scavenger pump and wonder if anybody else has ever watched the flow. Should I see a steady big time stream or a more gentle flow?

Many thanks to all of you that use this forum,have had problems,and to the great experts that help solve them. It's really great when you can go back to the beginning and just about always find where someone else had a similar trouble. Chris.

Chris,
    When I rebuilt my 1944 45 I spent a considerable ammount of money on the motor and then thought am I going to put un-filtered oil through that investment. The answer was no so I purchased a Norton Commando oil filter assembly and installed it in the scavenge line. The bracket I made to mount it clamps to the l.h. frame rail just behind the battery box and it takes less than 5 minutes to remove and install the original scavenge oil line.
    My intention was to do break-in miles in NZ prior to taking the bike to the USA for the Harley 100th and then remove the filter and return the system to standard but time prevented that and the filter stayed there. It is still there and I have no intention of removing it unless the bike is going to be put into a show.
    I've done just over 27.000 miles on that motor and recently had to pull the cylinders to replace a broken valve spring and was very surprised at just how clean the inside of the motor was.
    If you are going to do serious miles on this bike I would highly recommend that you fit an oil filter, I certainly wouldn't go without one again especially as modern oils are all full of agents that keep the s**t in suspension and doesn't allow it to settle in the oil tank.
    If you want further details of how I did it get in touch and I'll take some photos and post them to you. Don't ask me to put them up here as I've given up trying to do that.
    Regards, Tommo

Comment

Filters

Way ahead of you on the filter Tommo. Mine is mounted on the left side of the battery box. Scavenger pump feeds inlet thru a 3/8 clear line because I wanted to see flow and not rely on an idiot light, then back to tank. Flow at idle resembles pulsating columns of oil and as engine speed increases full flow is neat to watch filling the line completely.

I've got an interesting carb leak where the bowl seats to the body that goes away after the engine warms up and my high speed jet (m-88 linkert converted to adj.) really affects idle alot. I'm thinking posssibly that I set the float to high or the float is bad even tho I did a test of it in hot water with no visible leaks. My wonderful after market oil sending unit leaked and when I removed the wire it fell off leavinf the little nipple in the hole. thank god for home made teeny easy outs and a box of junk parts.

Temperatures. After a 3 mile run I'm getting 360=/- at both exhaust where the pipe enters the cyl. Down at the cyl bases and reading the cyl. 190, moving up and reading between the fins to the cyl 200 and the alum. heads are running 185. Has anybody else ever taken these readings or does anybody own one of these fancy temp readers and could send me their results. Chris

Comment

I know at the header pipe it's around 300+. So your readings sound accurate and correct. Timing set right, carb right, mano not leaking, should be fine. I would think.

The flow is a gurgle. not alot of psi. 5-7 psi or something?

I used one of Geoff Ringles "old iron" oil filters on my 45 scout. It uses a mazda miata MX5 oil filter. Very small.

Comment

First Run

Thanks Paul, Glad someone else has done these temp checks and flow. Gurgle it is and fairly full at rpm. Went thru all of Cotens and many other folks suggestions on timing and pressure testing manifolds. Think I've got it right but will probably end up putting in those great seals float that works. Had a little bummer with a brand new Cycle Electric generator and will have to send it to them so I'l have a delay on my break in. Solid state circuitry amasses me. Somehow it still puts out a governed voltage but the output terminal is a definite short to ground ,drains the battery and gets hot from the moment the wire is connected. Chris

Comment

Sadly sounds like your CE Gen has an internal short. You rotated it and still have the problem? Got it hooked up right? They will cover it. Good people.

Solid state is the way to go for me. If I can hide it well enough. Waiting for a mechanical regulator to fail on the road is not fun. Pretty much any mechanical electric device falls into this catogory for me.
            Getting rid of the old capacitor and cleaning up the signal helps greatly also. These bikes CAN be made to run really well with a little modern help. Just my personal opinion. I still use the points- just with a little modern help.

I fill oil and let it sit over night. You can prime the return line. You can put a half cup in the case via the check hole. Fill the oil filter and install. At idle the return flow takes a while to kick in. If things are primed you just wait for it. A couple minutes. Well I do.

Your oil pump squishes the oil between the gears and pushes it up the line. It's pressure is dependant upon the fit and clearances of the gears. Another good reason for an oil filter.

Comment

Gen

Paul thanks again. Pretty hard to hook up their gen wrong as there is only one output and a low volt term for the light. This one is the solid state conversion that uses a 5.5A bat(12v) and can be used to also power the old light on the low side. Following their instructions hooking the output to the battery creats a spark which to me is a definite current drawand not good. Everything disconnected still gives me that sparkand just with their one wire to battery the generator heats up. Yup no doubt internal short. Just puzzels me that I still get a regulated output varying from 8.75 volts to 13. Pure majic but definetely has a problem. Have heard that they are great folks and will make it right so I'm not worried. Just bugged that now I'll have to put off some of my breakin or figure out a way to plug the gen. hole. Still for my Dad . This motor(after 62 yrs in cosmo) will ride my neighborhood with his service pin(WW11)and mine (the Nam).Believe me there is also a flag. God bless and tommorow is our day. Chris

Comment

Right on Chris. Happy memorial day. To everyone.

I timed the oil return time on the sport scout today. It took 55 sec. before I saw some return. Little nerve wracking waiting for it. I prelube engine internals on build with white lith.

Did a secondary torque down tonight.

Hopefully you get some quick turn w/ gen. Give us a heads up and let use know how it works out. And a photo of you guys also.

Comment

Run

Takes a little less about 35 sec. or so for me to see good flow but almost instant flow of sorts. Still haven't figured out how to compress my pics to post since I'm computer challenged. Think Ohio Rider has a pic of first mock up and Jack Hester has seen the engine boxed then a series of pics as I finally got her apart. It's been a fun time and since I built to look like what my Dad did there are probably lots of folks that will steam! Just a basic bob but it's mine.

Got a question now that I've sat on it awhile. Has any body ever tried to bend the hump out of the seat T where the seat front fastens. Rides high up front for me(short little legs) and it's actually more compfy riding on just the T sans seat. My T is one of those after market look alike forgings or something. Can I heat it and flatten that hump a bit? Maybe I ought to just put 2 little bun pads on the T. Chris

Comment

Bobber! As such you have lots of options. Seat down or pegs up.

Comment

Chris, Great news to hear you got yours on the road. I can't wait to see a photo. If ya e-mail me one I'll be glad to post it here for ya. What did you ever find out what was the problem with your chain alignment problem?

I was doing some dirt tracking with mine and bent the bars a bit but just about got it back together again. I'm with you on that foot clutch thing. Makes me feel like a novice at times. I've got to give you alot of credit Chris to start with nothing more than a motor and to find and assemble a complete bike from that. Kudo's to ya man. -Steve

Comment

Run

Steve,turned out the right forging was like a little thick and tapered. No real problem just ground it flat and things are working out. Dropped the subject becaus I was getting just a little agravatted with the defensive repies and figured either way it was just one more little fix to do. It's almost a done project I'm still waiting on a dash,speedo and different seat but at least for now I can hear it run. Pulled the gen. and sent it to CE for repairs no problem they seem really great. Oh, hey Admin. Don't blame me. It was all those bueatiful pics from June 06(show off your bobber) and the stark realization that I could never afford to restore to show. Just doing what I did was way to expensive but really has been fun. I'll pop Steve a pic and then the chewing can start. In jest I just have to say sure hope Roland doesn't see it. Chris

Comment

Hey Chris..... I'm still waiting to see a picture of your 45". I found the mock up photo you sent me awhile back. Remember when it looked like this..?

Attached Files

Comment

Just get it running. Things can happen over time.

Comment

First Run

Steve, Still looks like that only now it has paint and shines in sunlite. Little things never show like LineX instead of rubber for the foot pads and pedals, 45 shell case heads in place of a few washers. Just little things to make it mine. Odd little bike, just like the owner. Parts from 40 to 07----definitely not qualified for period correct. Might make it into the longest ridden catagory tho if I can just ride futher than those folks on idestuctable indian bikes. Smiles Always Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X