1939 HD paint scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 HD paint scheme

I am a little out of my era here.... I have a 39 EL that I plan to restore. While the tanks had two-tone paint, I have seen some 1939's with two-tone paint on the fenders as well. I am wondering if this is correct? I can't find any early photos of original bikes with the two-tone fenders. Anybody know?

I have also seen red fenders w/ red on the top of tank w/ black on the side in early photos. I have seen the opposite of that (mostly black with red on sides). Is either acceptable? According to Hatfield's book, the latter is not mentioned as an option.

Thank you in advance!

1939 HD paint

try contacting Dan Henke in NY @ hvcdanhenke@yahoo.com
    he should know the answer to your question

Comment

Kevin!

I tried for months to contact Dan at that address; Can you post me his phone number?

....Cotten liberty@npoint.net

Comment

Single color on the fenders and red with a black insert on the tanks was the factory color combination offered in 39.
        Carl

Comment

Thank you, Carl! That is in agreement with all of my research as well. Any idea where to get the correct color code and decals?

Comment

John Pierce at Pierce Colorwrite has the correct paints for about all H-D years and models.
            Cotten--If you click on the link for the Rhinebeck AMCA meet on this website, Dan's phone # is listed in the contact info---Paq

Comment

Thank you... I will give him a try!

Comment

In looking at my 1939 factory photos and the 1939 order blank all civilian machines came with solid color fenders. Some Police machines had two toned fenders.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X