Production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production numbers

Can anyone tell me where I can get accurate production figures broken down by model and year? I have on book but believe it to be wrong. for example it lists 6600 1950 FL's being built, yet a freind has 50FL105XX ( wich by date codes appears to be mid - late year production) So unless they built 3000 EL's in 51 this must be wrong. Plus the book I have doesn't list all models all years. Thanks

Here...

http://www.hydra-glide.com/index.php

Go to Info Panhead and Flathead Info, then Info Per Year.

Not sure how the numbers start but 105XXX doesn't mean there were 105xxx produced.

Comment

Thanks. according to palmer ,first bike down the line would be 51FL1001, and the different families ran their own series of numbers. Wich is what the old timers used to say years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bmh
        Thanks. according to palmer ,first bike down the line would be 51FL1001, and the different families ran their own series of numbers. Wich is what the old timers used to say years ago.
        First bike(s) down the line in 1951 would have been "1000." They didn't change to "1001" until 1957.

Very common error that needs to be corrected.

Comment

Thanks for correcting that, because I have a 1000 sn

Comment

Originally posted by gpetty
            Thanks for correcting that, because I have a 1000 sn
            Can you give us the model and year of your #1000?

Comment

46wl

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation

First bike(s) down the line in 1951 would have been "1000." They didn't change to "1001" until 1957.

Very common error that needs to be corrected.
                Herb, why do you imply that there may have been more than one (1) motorcycle with a 1000 motor number. Sounds like an interesting story.

Comment

I think he's refering to the fact that different "families" ran their own sequence of numbers. so there would be perhaps a 50FL1000 and a 50WL1000.
                  Brian

Comment

I have always thought it was good manners to give an intellegent answer to a dumb question. Thanks for the good manners Brian.

Comment

Ther only dumb question is the one not asked.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bmh
                        I think he's refering to the fact that different "families" ran their own sequence of numbers. so there would be perhaps a 50FL1000 and a 50WL1000.
                        Brian
                        That's the way I meant it. Thanks!

It's surprising how many otherwise good authorities still don't believe that "1000" numbered bikes were built for many years (pre-57). But that is a documented FACT that has slipped thru the cracks while "1001" as first down the line is commonly accepted as true, but is actually another Harley MYTH.

There are so many!

Comment

Originally posted by gpetty
                          46wl
                          46WL1000 == Nice!

I had several 45's over the years including a 46WL so have a soft spot for the old 45 Flathead, which incidently plays a key roll in the 2-part article "Secrets of the Sportster" in the latest AMCA mag just out.

Comment

Working...
                          X