Bubble bag gaurd rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble bag gaurd rail

Back in 1987 I bought a 1961 FLH shriner type bike ,loaded with all kinds of goodies .It got stolen ,but I got most of it back in pieces .I only got one guard rail back ,this bike had bubble bags .I have several phots of bikes from this era with what appears to be the same guard rails ..This is a single chrome rail and and is bent inward at each end .It starts at the front of the bag about half way up ,and angles downward to about 3/4 of the way along the bag where it bends and goes under the bag .It's made of 3/4 inch OD tubing ,and on each end there is about a 3 "extention of 5/16th rod welded on to it .At the end of the rod is a large hexagon nut that has some thread inside it . Had I not seen photos of these guard rails I would certainly think it was homemade ,because of the nut ..Would Harley use a nut with the thread still visable , although not quite the same depth as a regular nut it has clearly been threaded at one time ,and maybe when it was chromed the threads got somewhat filled in .
    I havn't been able to locate another rail and was going to make my own , does anyone have any info regarding these rails ?
    Neil

I have what is supposed to be a NOS set of those. It is one large tube with a V off of the smaller tube. Yes, the ends are chromed nuts, with a threaded hole for a bolt or set screw to hold them on. If I can get another set, I would sell mine. I will let you know.

Comment

PS
      They fit right on the ends of the swing arm bubble bags mount rods.

Comment

Is this what your looks like ?
        Attached Files

Comment

You are missing part of yours. There are two rails, with a V in the middle. I will find out next week if I have one extra pair. I will try to get a picture before then.

Comment

I have seen 2 other style of guards and each had 2 rails ,I don't remember the V ,but I was only looking for My style ..BTW I have quite a few photos of bikes with the single rail .One was sent to me by Harley davidsons archive department ,and It doesn't look like anything was ever welded to this .Where was the V located .. was it sorta like the guard rail behind the big buddy seat ?
            Do you have any photo of yours ?
            Neil

Comment

OK, I'm back. My computer took a dump. The V is just like the ones in the other guards, and somewhat like the buddy rail. My guy is getting in touch with the company that made them, to see if they have one still laying around. It isn't in their catalog anymore, and he doesn't have anymore, himself. Keep our fingers crossed!

Comment

My guy didn't have anymore of the two rails, and they don't make them any more, but he called the factory, and they said they will look around for any left overs. And yes, they did make the single rail, to, and I will try to find out about that one, two. As of right now, though, I don't know.

Comment

Here we go. I hope the pic is on here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the picture ,fancy stuff..I have never seen one like that before .I like it ..
                    Neil

Comment

Same company,just a little more bling!

Comment

Well, I checked today, and the factory sent the wrong ones! So just hang in there. I am also having them check for the single rail model. Isn't this the way it goes? S&S sent the wrong pistons for my Pan twice. The first time they were strokers, and the second time high compression, that had actually been returned by someone else. I just bought new old stock 50 over, and will use Hasting rings.

Comment

Twiddle dee, twiddle dum, STILL waiting for those parts to come. Now I am waiting for them to call me. NOT one of my favorite things! Oh well.................. I will let you know as soon as I find out something concrete.

Comment

Thanks for the up date ,sometimes theres not much else a guy can do but wait ..
                            Neil

Comment

No word yet on the rails. The man I am dealing with is working on a sidecar, and I am not high on his list of "to do" stuff. I don't know what to say. I have been through this too much lately. When it comes to this calling, I guess patience is at the top of my requirements list. I will continue to pursue this, but I just don't know anything right now.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X