My Thoughts about 45's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thoughts about 45's

Been a little slow here around the Flatheads forum as of late so I thought I'd start a little something. I'll try to keep it short but that not easy for me. As most of you already know. As you also know I got my first 45" this past winter. Thanks to everyone that has helped me bring this thing back to life.

Anyway I've put 500 miles on it so far this year and here are my thoughts about 45" flatheads. The first couple times I rode this bike I was tempted to start a thread here and ask everyone why in the world would anyone in their right mind think about racing one of these things. I did quite a bit of motorcycle racing in my younger years, but this machine gave me none of the excitment I remember from my youth. The first few times I rode it I kept asking myself, where's the fun in this..? In fact after riding it twice I set it aside in the garage and just started riding the panhead. Well, Brenda started asking me why I spent all that money and spent the entire winter getting it road worthy to just let it set in the corner? I told her I didn't enjoy it. She said: then sell it and finish the deck off the back of the house. No way that was going to happen. Once I own something, it never leaves. Period.

So I got to thinking. This bike is nice and light and easy to handle so there has got to be a way to have some fun with it. The neighbor owns a stable and dirt track for excercising his horses so I ask him if I could run my 45" around his track if I did the grading of the track to keep it nice. He said sure, no problem.

Wow....... Now I get it. These 45" are a ball to ride. The trick to having fun with them is to get them going real fast. I've spilled it a few times already back there on that dirt track. No damage. Just pick it up and crank it up. I haven't ridden my panhead in 2 weeks, except for going to work.

Like I said these are only my opinions. But I'm loving my 45" now. To put it in a nut shell. These machines are not for putting around, there for cranking it up and running. I've been riding around the back roads now looking for a race. Haven't found one yet but I'll keep you all posted if I do. -Steve

Do you have a hot shoe? Yup - great fun. Don't let your engine over heat.

Comment

Now that is what I call a smart woman !! Make him ride it !!
      The 45" ??? Dependable ! Long life !!! Available parts !!! Beat the livin daylights out of her but ?? Don't over heat her for sure !!!! Classy machine they are for sure ! Paps

Comment

ohio rider , i got a race for you right up here in the adirondacks!c,mon over . i LOVE taking my 45 out on an old corn field we have around here.i had a buddy of mine who used to race my 1950 against my 1948 . never understood it ,but that 1950 was always faster no matter who rode it.got into trouble one day ............we were out ridin and came across a pig roast at a local bar we had both been thrown out of (surly bartender!)it wasnt our favorite place ,so we decided to do some donuts and whatnot in the gravel parking surrounding the site of the pig cooker.well, while we were slingin gravel and puttin a ton of dust in the air the owner came outside and...............you guessed it THE MAN was on the way .so we figured we'd go ahead and split before the cops got there. it was a great day and we always have a good laugh when we talk about it!

Comment

Ok then cheifrider, we're on. Once I find out where the adirondacks are that is. Now I've got a reason to loose a few pounds. Maybe I can get another 3mph out of her.

After submitting this thread yesterday I was prepared for all the purist's to chew me up for running an antique cycle full tilt around a dirt track and dropping it without a care. Glad to see I'm not alone in my madness. Been back on that dirt track every night. Got my younger daughter with a stop watch timing me. Before the end of summer I'll have her on this bike, going around the track as well. I may need another 45 before next summer.

Comment

YES!!!
            This thread has made my week.
            As the song goes "Teach your children well". Not only an extra bond between you but you "know"she's going to bring the right kind of guy home.
            Not flowers for mom,stroker flywheels for pop.

Comment

Stroker flywheels for pop...... Now we're talking. My older daughter once brought a guy around who brought me a can of cashew nuts after I put a set of brakes on the front of his car. I wonder what ever happened to him....

Comment

Chiefrider,
                Charlie Daniels Band , uneasy rider ! ''slinging gravel and putting a ton of dust in the air ''' that song is about as old as the 45cid!
                I own 3 45'' machines , a wla [my baby ] a servi car , and building a 45'' bobber !
                I prefer to ride My 45'' than my pans,they are slow and they go out when I have no where to go !!!!
                I took My son Larry on my WLA for his first ride after the job at 18mos old , he sat between My legs on the gas tanks as We rode around our property , after the ride he began to cry , He wanted more ! That began our routine every night when the old man arrived home out with the 45'' for a few laps through the woods !
                With that said I created a monster , now He is riding my [His] servi around the neighborhood . As far a starting a 45'' , Larry takes His buddys in the barn and shows them how He can start the WLA !
                Look at the price tag on a 45'' machine is now , wishing I brought and kept every 45'' machine /parts I turned up 25 years ago !

Comment

Why 45

Hey Steve, Here's why. After building the goofy thing for the last 17 months it's a real rush to say today we put gas 'oil and spark. After a few kicks(bruising the dickens out ofthe inside of your knee on the frame) you figure out how to start it painlessly and it fires over scaring you enough that you quickly shut it off. Then it's on to the short running periods,checking for oil pressure,leaks,waiting to see that first flow of oil . Two hours later and a million checks, afew practice pull out in the shop(havn't used a foot clutch -manual spark-or tank shift since 66) and it's out the driveway. What a thrill! It was really fun stopping because I hadn't run the line to the disc brake conversion. Lets see, left foot clutch,right foot brake,what holds it up at stop? took me awhile to get over the panick and remember that the suicide pedal spring does work on this one. It sure didn't on my old pan. Chris

Comment

chris ,
                    I guess so brother , Have a great memorial day to all !!!!!!

Comment

Chris -

I've managed to screw myself by taking on so much for others. My projects just sit. But, I've got the Summer ahead of me to purge. I'll get crackin' and finish those and get them out by Fall. Then, my 45's, Indian, '76 & '59 FLH's (the '59 is the only running that I have at the moment) and whatever else that I can put together will become priority. Just took the '59 out for a spin and to fill up the tank. Leaned out the High Speed jet a bit more. Can't get over the difference in running, since installing one of Cotten's floats. That's my daily rider, for now. Cranks good, even when it's nippy out.

I frequent quite a few other forums. On the Shovelhead forums, there always seems to be a question of what oil pump to use. I guess they get tired of me stating that the stock pump provides more oil than the engine will every need. My '59 was running 15 psig at 50 MPH, engine hot. 5 psig at a fast idle. Original pump. And, 20W-50 Amsoil V-Twin oil. My WLA and ServiCar both will have the same oil in them, when they are once more pressed back into service. My two Vintage Cub Cadets will get the same treatment, with their Harley engines installed (future projects after all two-wheelers are running).

Jack

Comment

Getting my projects completed ??? Me too Jack ! I don't spend enough time on my own. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider

After submitting this thread yesterday I was prepared for all the purist's to chew me up for running an antique cycle full tilt around a dirt track and dropping it without a care.
                          oh god, isnt that what they are for???

come on now!

why do you think i was jumping my knuckle last october!!!

coz that **** is FUN!!!!!

and its all fixable.

Comment

why 45

Jack great to hear from you again. Without the tool you lent me this project might never have started. Finish you race 45 engine so I can send you my spare or pick your brains for advice. By the way my shovel is the same. Oil pressure gage will scare you at idle but strong 15 at run. Mobil 1 V twin 20/50 syn. Anyway this bike has one nos engine that will not waste away in a museum. Built to ride and fun it is. Chris

Comment

Hi Militaryrider...

What ya doing for your "bobber"?

I'm curious, because I am doing the same.

Mine..47 frame,
                              43 engine, 4 7/16" T&O stroker. Mag ignition.
                              79XLS front end,
                              79XLS Dual flange rear hub, laced to 16" rims...
                              1993 Sportster Disk brake for rear, hand made bracket.
                              Custom Gas/Gas tanks
                              Underseat oil tank.

Transmission is a three speed box with 4 speed internals.

Curious about your project.

George Greer

Aka.... George in Gremany

Comment

Working...
                              X