Brakes, or lack of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes, or lack of...

I took the '27 for it's first ride. It performed well, got lots of thumbs-ups, and several yells of "cool bike".
    But the brakes are scarey. I can mash on the pedal and get little response other than a moaning sound. I'm going to try cleaning the brake band with some Brake-Kleen and hope it improves, but I'm not optomistic.
    I bought this thing to ride. Not fast, or far, but when I come to a stop sign I feel kinda silly having to drag my feet and hit the kill button.
    So, if my '27 has the fender mounted horn, and the tank mounted guages/dash, what's the difference between it and a '28, other than the lack of front brake? Is my bike only a few parts away from becoming a '28?

It's more than just a front brake to turn your bike into a 28. The 28 had an entirely different front fork and also drop center rims. Different exhaust, different headlight. Etc. The brakes on my 27 work OK (I need to brake in plenty of time but no foot dragging required), so I think if you get your lone rear brake whipped into shape it will be (barely) adequate ... Perry

Comment

Should the brake be able to slide the rear tire? Of course you'd want plenty of air in the tire so ya don't pull out the valve stem.

Comment

I don't know if it will lock up the wheel or not. I've never tried it. However, as an example, I have a very steep hill near my house with a switch back part way down. I go down it on the bike and am able to stop at the stop sign at the bottom (and my bike has a sidecar on it). I don't get up the same "head of steam" as I do in the car, but I'm not inching my way down on the bike either. Based on what you say, it sounds like you wouldn't want to tackle such a hill on your bike? ... Perry

Comment

Hills? This thing hardly stops on the flat. Seriously. I can drag my feet and stop quicker. It's scary to ride. But still fun.

It'll probably be a week or two until I have time to play with it. I'm a farmer and this is a busy season for me. Long days/short nights.

Comment

lack of brakes

You have to check that the band brake floats on the spring at the rear of the brake as it is intended to. If it is stuck it will not engage fully trough the entire circumstance. It is only when it grabs the entire drum you get any decent braking.
            I think the saying "plan ahead" will still have to be kept in mind tough.

regards
            Sverre

Comment

lack of brakes

You have to check that the band brake floats on the spring at the rear of the brake as it is intended to. If it is stuck it will not engage fully trough the entire circumstance. It is only when it grabs the entire drum you get any decent braking.
              I think the saying "plan ahead" will still have to be kept in mind tough.

regards
              Sverre

Comment

Scarey brakes

Scarey brakes - :-) I know what you mean. But they should be able to lock up the back wheel. In an emergency, I have left quite a tire track of rubber on the road. Once you get it dialled in - it will work pretty good. As long as your looking ahead and paying attention you should be ok.
                Check the shape of your band material, also your brake drum. Sceen some really badly scared, if you have enough meat you might concider having it turned. I just cleaned mine up and put on new brake linning material, adjust it careful like Sverre said and you should be in good shape. Mine scared me to death when I first started ridding it - the brakes and the handelbars, when not used to them - boy their intimidating. I am used to it now and it stops better than I used to think. As long as no one slams on their brakes in front of you - then all bets are off and start manewvering big time!!!!
                I have had a couple close calls and I was slidding and using body language big time :-0, but if you have time to think and your brakes are adjusted good they will get the job done pretty well. Though keep your speed down in any traffic - be careful. I had mine on the freeway twice, when I was younger and even dumber - never again!! Glad your having fun with that grand machine, Tom.

Comment

There will be no freeway riding for this bike/rider combo. Between the tires and brakes, it'll be a while before my confidence level approaches anything over 45 mph.

That said, I want to ride it to some bike nights and cruise-ins. Some of the better ones are on the other side of town (Cincinnati, OH) and there's no good way to get there other than freeway, or trailer. I'd rather ride.

Comment

Hello Rickeieio ,
                    How are you getting on with the DeLuxe ? hope you are mastering the riding technique and got the brake working ok , I haven't been on here for while and have some catching up to do , plus we must keep the Henderson line running along ! The brake on my '26 is very good but I also have a left heel brake for dire emergencies , do you not have this brake fitted ?
                    Anyway , best of luck with it , they are a great bike to ride , whether just for a short ride or an all day mount ,
                    good luck , Ken

Comment

I'm finally comfortable riding the Deluxe. I too it out several times locally this summer, once to a Bike Nite, where it was the hit of the party. No one knew what it was.

I also took it to Wauseon and had a blast. Rode it all over for the weekend.

Brakes are less of a concern than before. Either I'm getting used to it, or it's working better. Maybe a little of both......

Now it's fouling plugs and seems to be loosing spark when it gets warm. I changed the plugs to Champion D-18 (had D-16). Or, is my magneto weak? Should I lean out the carb a bit?

I'm not afraid to wrench on this thing, it's pretty simple. But I thought I'd ask before heading in the wrong direction.

Comment

Pleased to hear that you are getting used to the Hen and getting used to the brake or lack of it !! I have used Champion D16's for many years and have had good service , a magneto that ''has a break'' when it gets warm is normally telling you it needs servicing , when it's cold again does it start ok ? if so then you should get the mag looked at by an expert !! you could try a new condenser first , which can be attached anywhere as long as it's earthed , good to hear you are riding it anyway , keep going , these Hens are one of the best rides ever !!!! OR as
                        T.A. Hodgdon puts it in 'Golden Age of The Fours - ''you have one of the world's finest motorcycles...'' , Ken

Comment

I' am with Ken, I would check the Mag too. Glad to hear your having fun with your Deluxe!

Comment

When I'm riding the Hen, it seems as though the ignition is momentarily cutting off, then it's fine for a bit. I really notice it when under a hard pull, as in climbing a hill, or accelerating at a more than moderate rate.

I'm leaving a trail of black smoke at theses times too, indicating a very rich condition.

Last time I had it out, I barely made it home. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled badly. That's when I put in the D-18 set. I've not had a chance to ride it since.

Comment

HI rickeieio ,
                              Look at the carb , does it flood ? possibly one of the jets has come loose or the float leaks and is dropping down allowing too much petrol in ?? you may have a mix of a couple of small problems , hope you get it sorted soon , best of luck , Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X