Removing Carbon from Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Carbon from Pistons

Anyone know of a chemical that helps remove carbon from pistons? I heard of using oven cleaner. I'm getting tired of scrap, scrap, scrap!

Thanks,
    Gary

Yes, I once used Easy Off Oven Cleaner on a very large copper cauldron that was used to boil apple butter down. The bottom was encased in solid carbon from sitting over an open fire for years. I couldn't scrape it off. Easy Off did the trick; I couldn't believe it. I believe it's main ingredient is sodium chloride. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Howard

Comment

are the pistons in barrel? If so maybe smear a line of grease over crack as not to put cleaner onto rings.

Comment

Thanks Guys! The pistons have been removed from the connecting rods. I think I have a can of easy-off. How long did you have to leave the easy-off on, before it removed the carbon?

Gary

Comment

My can of easy-off says: do not use on aluminum. I guess it's back to scrap, scrap, scrap!

Gary

Comment

My can of easy-off says: do not use on aluminum. I guess it's back to scrap, scrap, scrap!

Gary

Comment

Penetrating fluid should safetly loosen the carbon if soaking is the method. My Pop used it in running engines to do the same thing but I was always paranoid that large pieces may leap off and cause damge to the valves, bores, and rings with that method of its use. Paps

Comment

Thanks Paps. I'll give it a try.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X