Cotton's floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotton's floats

I have used one of Cotton's float for just over a year, when I thought I had a problem. I emailed him to let him know about the problem and he shipped a new float out without any questions.
    THEN, I discovered it was not the float at all. I just wanted to let everybody know what a standup dealer he is.
    If you have a problem with any of our good dealers, give them a chance to fix the problem and I am sure you will be happy with the results.
    Kevin

Everyone please note:

That was the first and only time that a Durable has been replaced for suspicion of failure.

And probably the last, since alien spit strong enough to eat them hasn't been discovered yet.

....Cotten

Comment

Thumbs up for Cotten's Floats!!!!!!!

Comment

float

Recieved one of Cottens floats last week up here in Canada for my 45. Cant wait to get it in. Looks good whats it made of? Hope Cotten recieved my money order. My buddy is having trouble with his after market brass float so he's interested in how it stands up.

Comment

I have not heard any negative comments. I'm very happy with mine. The product is born of pure simple logic.

Comment

cotton's floats

I don't want anybody to think there is something wrong with Cotton's floats, the trouble with mine ended up to be a bad "new" needle and seat NOT the float. I paniced and wrote Cotton about the problem and after further work discovered the float working FINE, but he sent me a new one to replace what I thought was a problem. A STAND UP VENDOR!!!!!!!!

Comment

Here's the bad thing about Durable floats:

(Besides the price...)

I can't cut them fast enough.

Meanwhile, as my shop is closed for building maintenance for the summer, all hopes are for a pro to come in and take over the motor and chassis department this Fall.

Spread the word.

....Cotten
              Liberty

Comment

Cotten: couple of quick questions if you're at the keyoard

Howdy Cotten,

I just got 5 of your floats and the first three installs have produced results far beyond my expectations, should have done this a very long time ago.

Related/unrelated question. I'm running a basically NOS Schebler DLX124 on my 40-4 rider. Two things: are it's setup (1/4 float height) and high speed/low speed tuning start points (1.5 turns on the former/3.5 on the latter) basically like a Linkert? I've got several more DLX 124/113's in various states of health, one of displays the dreaded "shrunken head" syndrome you've described in the past wherein these pot metal carbs shrink as they age. Should I just shelve this rare item and use a more durable Linkert M441 for riding?

Had a M441 on it previously and it seemed to run better without that throttle tip-in flat spot I've encountered on twins/fours with Scheblers.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Just a note here, Ed Glasgow still has a small supply of Cotton's floats.
                  http://members.aol.com/ed53ind/index.html

Comment

Peter!

The early literature spec's a very deep setting for DLXs (~7/16"), but obviously that applied to the bronze bowls and not tin-topped models.

I have been begging for better literature for years.

The "long-bowl" Schebs can hardly be adjusted deeper than 5/16", so that is where I have been putting them, without complaint so far.

It seems that DLX113s are affected by shrinkage more than other models, although not exclusively. I hone the bores back to round; Sometimes they clean up to accept a stock throttledisc perfectly, but most often I must open them up to fit a .010" oversize disc.
                    Although the manifold flange is easy to grind flat, I have encountered the airhorn flange so distorted that the screws no longer line up.

And most aggravating is when the pressure of the detente ball has pushed needles out of line, thus missing their seat. For this I had some needles made with extended threads to reach deeper to where they still aim at the seat. But they lack the pretty script at this time.
                    (Note to all: potmetal Scheb highspeed needles should never be installed without removing the bowl to assure the point does not catch on the side of the seat and damage it.)

As far as a 'tip-in flat spot', perhaps that is why Linkerts have a slot cut between the idle bleed holes.
                    The choice of running a replacement makes economical sense if nothing else, considering the skyrocketing demand for a DLX113, as well as the unusual expense to repair one.

....Cotten

Comment

Thanks Cotten!

Thanks for your quick response and tips on needle seating. The DLX 124 I'm running on my 40-4 has the cast pregnant bowl (correct?) and I setup at 1/4 inch float height which at a starting base of 3.5L and 1.5H made for a beautiful steady idle once nominally warm, very good low and high speed steady state running but linear throttle response, ie, eliminating the flat spot on initial light throttle tip-in, could only be obtaining by softening both low and hi speed settings via richness which had obvious ramifications on full throttle roll in - sluggish. Probably only electronic ignition and prudent use of advance keeps it from momentarily fouling a plug or two on the way of the rev range when throttled hard.

Admittedly on 4.50x18's with a modified (19 tooth) final drive sprocket, I'm geared as tall as you can get without relieving the cases so to mimick the throttle response of your typical 5.00x16 equiped 16-18 toother, any meaningful conclusions on the above were generally done in 2nd gear.

As I've got an oil filter hanging on the side, no longer any point in strut'n my stuff around the originality hounds - will have to appease them with those original dealer decals on the fender sides, correct hi-lo switch, half round fender trim etc...

Me thinks it time to put the M441 back on - with one of your floats, naturally - and just enjoy the ride.

Comment

speedy

great service and quick shipment and did I mention quick service

glenn mills
                        aka Moose

Comment

I can't say enough good about the man's floats!!! My 45 is running real sweet since I installed one........

Comment

Cottons Service

Cotton is a complete stand up guy.

I ordered two floats from him and they never arrived, obviously post office error, its not the first time.
                            I told him and he sent out another set which I recieved promptly.

This is where I blew it, I kept forgetting to send him a check and kept forgetting, after a not so friendly but NEEDED reminder i got the check off to him as fast as i could.

I just wanted to make a public apology to him, as its just about impossible to get to deal with someone as honest and as upstanding as him. And I am the one that blew it when i didnt pay him immediately as I should have.

Cotton, Im sorry for the delay.

and his floats are still the very best, period.

dave

Comment

We are all fortunate to have a guy like Cotten in our hobby. He is knowledgable, professional and dedicated to improving the funaction and life span of our bikes.

Thanks Cotten!

Comment

Working...
                              X