Trans plate idenification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans plate idenification

Hi. I am restoring a couple of swingarm Pans and was recently cleaning some parts I had aquired. A couple of the trans plates that I have are different. Both are genuine swingarm plates but one has the two front holes tapped 3/8 UNF, and the other plate has no thread in the front holes. These are original HD trans swingarm plates and the unthreaded plates show no sign of any thread being drilled out.
    I am planning on keeeping the 58 so I would like to put the correct plate in it. I know the diference between rigid and swing arm plates. Any trans plate experts out there who know the difference and correct years for theaded and un threaded plates for Swing arm Pans?
    Steve

Did Harley have any frames without threads in the mounting boss? Possibly set up to run the bolts up from below, into the plate? Mike

Comment

According to the H-D parts books I have, the 58 should have the threaded plate.

Comment

Thankyou for the replies.
        Motorhead 1, I looked at my 58 to 68 part manual and it shows the trans plate and a bolt part #4362 3/8"-24 x 1-3/8. No nut or washer is drawn. I do not have the specific year, part manuals to look at. Do you know what year they gave away the threaded trans plate. I guese, the year they started nut and bolting them, the original "year specific" part manuals will start displaying a nut and washer.
        Regards Steve

Comment

It appears that the unthreaded transmission plate may be part No. 47698-36, which is a rigid frame plate that used bolts, washers and nuts for the front mounting holes. Are you sure the bolt pattern is for a swing arm ?

Bill Pedalino

Comment

Wrong to all! The 58 and up plate has it's mounting holes at 3.250. The riged 2 inch and something. No big twin plate was ever threaded. 7/16 hole for a 3/8 bolt. They all took two bolt straight up with a castle nut and cater pin with the exception of the one I posted a couple of days ago. It has 5/16 holes in the front of the plate and nobody seems to be giving me an ansewer. Bob

Comment

Gentleman. I was totally thing about something else with my mind in a zillion different places. Please accept my apologies for making a jackass of my self and disregard my post.

Comment

This comes a little bit late. I happen to have a genuine 1958 parts book. It offers the same plate for 1936-58. In the illustrations they do not show this kind of parts for the swingarm frame. The main picture with the hardware is of the rigid frame, the same pic as far as I can tell, as in earlier editions. And the front bolts are shown with the castelled nuts. Bolt head down, nuts up. Hope this clears something. If needed I could scan the page and email it. Still it is possible that the 1958 parts book is not 100% correct as it was the first year for the svingarm frame. A 1959 or -60 edition might help. I have a "1941 to 1984" parts book that show a picture of probably a shovel frame. In that picture there are no nuts, just bolts. So sometimes the fasteners changed for sure.
                Palmers book certainly has something about the trans plates, but I could not locate it.
                Fiskis

Comment

Working...
                X