Rivet tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivet tool

I am looking for a Harley saddlebag rivet tool at a decent price.

I'm not sure which rivets or saddlebags you refer to, but I purchased a Hand Rivet Clincher to set the rivets on my fiberglass bags. The Clincher I got is for 1/8 inch tubular(hollow) rivets. You can find these at www.hansonrivet.com. This most resembles a punch tool with the proper set for rolling the ends of the rivets. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks. It's funny, but I just requested their catalog online yesterday. Did you get the hand, or the bench mount squeezer? And what depth is it? How about the price? A person could make one of these, but I would have to farm most of it out to a friend of mine who I ask too much of already.

Comment

I purchased a HT-174 Hand Clincher. It is about 4 inches in length, and has the unique shape to spread then roll the rivets tight. Looking into the end, it most resembles a bowl with a raised point in the center, not very deep at all. It's been awhile since I got it, but I think it was about $40, far less than the time involved to make one. I also got the rounded set to fit the head of the rivet, which will fit into a 3/16 hole in any peice of steel. I figured the hand clincher was the way to go since the rivets in the bottom of the bag would be hard to get to on the bench. I am sending a set of bags to the painter soon and will use the tool and post my results.

Comment

OK, Walt. I see you are talking about the hammer driven kind. I am talking about the mechanical squeeze type, to do the emblems on the side of bubble bags, etc. I am a little leery of banging on bags that are as thin and fragile, and valuable as are the fiberglass and plastic ones. I have the Sears set, and have used them on leather bags. On the new replacement Harley spring clips for the bottom of the fiberglass bags, they just use pop rivets. I gotta admit I used them on my '65, and just cut off the extra with a Dremel with a fiber cut off disc. You gotta love those dremels. I actually got ahold of the factory, and got parts to rebuild my old one. Pretty futile, because it didn't hold together for long, but at least I tried. You can buy the Chinese cheapies at Odd Lots, with a whole set of attachments, and flex cable for 19 bucks. And yes, Sears is closing it's harware stores. They are putting the squeeze on their independent dealers, too. Good 'ol Kmart. Is this the end of the U S A, as we knew it, when Kmart buys Sears?

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan View Post
            I am looking for a Harley saddlebag rivet tool at a decent price.
            I have a new one from V-Twin Jeff at willardsmarts AMCA 9583 801-920-9574 or willardsmarts@comcast.net
            WillardSmarts H-D Parts $ Sale
            Ogden Utah. Jeff & Claudia AMCA 9583
            (801)920-9574

Comment

Working...
            X