Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who rebuilds Harley Davidson 61" pocket valve motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who rebuilds Harley Davidson 61" pocket valve motors?

Who can rebuild my 1923 Harley Davidson 61" pocket valve motor bottom end? or the whole thing? It was running when I got it, with a Lucas magneto and a burned valved, it was hit and missing but running. I pulled the top end and the bottom end bearings have up and down slack. I am looking for a motor man for these early models, thanks, Paul , AMCA # 10640

Paul, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to do the machine work. Any well equipted shop will have a Sunnen hone for the rods and case bearings. Harbor Vintage or Competition Distributing are great sources for motor parts and will have anything you need. The flywheels true up like any V-twin and again, that should be easy for an experienced shop. Basically, you should just sub-contract the work to shops you trust and do the assembly work yourself. If you're uncomfortable with the timing, you could put your front piston at TDC and mark the timing gears with paint dots. If you want the motor restored cosmetically then you're in for a lot of work but even that is just cleaning, painting and plating.

You're motor should either have a Bosch ZEV magneto, or most likely, the Harley Davidson generator w/timer. If it's working okay with the Lucas mag and it doesn't bother you then I would stick with that.

I don't know what bike shops in your neck of the woods are like but I would be reluctant to give them the whole motor. Not for any criminal reasons, but I think you can get things done faster if you give them filler jobs that they can fit in between the big day to day stuff.

Comment

Thanks, I did get a rebuilt ZEV mag from Ed Strain in Flordia that is supposed to be the correct one. I have actually been doing some cleanup/polishing on the cases and they look great. My hesitation in doing the motor myself is based on fear of screwing it up, it seems to be in pretty good shape and condition for the age, and the mulitude of other, unfinished "projects", two wheel and four wheel. I am a machinist by trade and once made a living as a Brit and Jap bike mechanic/machinist but my back and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Comment

I hear you about the eyes. Does the motor run? If so, just run it and enjoy. Keep an eye (whoops) on it and save the money for the next repair. I have an original 1923 JD motor that I am going to get running, and will just wait for it to tell me what it needs. ...bill

Comment

It was running, yes, when I got it but having a bad experience with my WL 45 and a loose bottom end, I get paronoid about the flywheel/rods connection and go look at the slack there first. It also saved me on our two-cylinder Jonh Deere tractors too.

Comment

Working...
          X