Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Chain Removal

Quick Question,
    Is there an easy way to remove the rear chain without removing the exhaust? I cant see any other way. Please respond soon.
    P.S. 1947 Chief.

Re: Rear Chain Removal

Originally posted by flathead1957
    Quick Question,
    Is there an easy way to remove the rear chain without removing the exhaust? I cant see any other way. Please respond soon.

P.S. 1947 Chief.

i cant see a reason to remove the exhaust ,just get your master link to a position where you can remove its clip then push out your master link .(it helps if you loosen the chain prior to doing this)at this point you can save alot of agravation if you attach an old chain to your existing one , then slowly pull your current chain out , this leaves the old chain on the sprockets so all you have to do is re-hook it and pull it back on .i dont know what repair your making , but if your replacing the chain i would advise changing the sprockets also . there cheap enough , all though changing them out takes some time . its also a great time to grease those rear wheel bearings that never seem to get any attention. good luck,tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
      I guess I need to get an old chain so I can use the trick you mentioned, that would have worked.
      I am using the existing chain, I just wanted to clean and oil it up, since I live on a dirt road.
      I couldn't see any way to get the chain off, and especially back on, without taking off the chain guard. Taking that off wasn't possible without taking off the exhaust and a couple other small items.
      When I restored my 1946WL, I used Palmer's book "How to restore your Harley Davidson". Does anyone know of such a book for Chiefs? Take Care......Ride Safe

Comment

i am not aware of ANY literature on indian restoration that even compares to palmers hd book , i certainly wish there was one. when i did my 46 i would go to various swapmeets and wait until the judging was done . then i would take billions of pics of bikes that were judged in the high 90,s.(wish i had a digital back then),then when i got home they were organized according to specific areas. between doing this,checking out indian motorcycle illustrated, and my parts books i was able to do a pretty accurate rendition of a 46 allthough it is not perfect it appears to be that ways. you can always go back and change the little things you find need correcting at a later date.i also got a lot of help from guys at the meets ,but be careful, when i bought my speedo the guy i got it from INSISTED it was correct for that year ,being the trusting soul that i am i handed over my $1100, only to find it was WRONG!his objective was to make a sale ,which he did , when i called him at a later date i was informed that i owned it .oh well!live and learn.i am now building a 47 and have resolved only to do business with people i have dealt with in the past or who are highly recommended good luck,tom
        ps if i dont mention jerry hatfields books this post would be lacking he wrote a great book on indian restoration ,its out of print now ,and i think everyone who has one thinks they are made of gold (seen one on ebay for $495!

Comment

Re: Re: Rear Chain Removal

Originally posted by cheifrider

i cant see a reason to remove the exhaust ,just get your master link to a position where you can remove its clip then push out your master link .(it helps if you loosen the chain prior to doing this)at this point you can save alot of agravation if you attach an old chain to your existing one , then slowly pull your current chain out , this leaves the old chain on the sprockets so all you have to do is re-hook it and pull it back on .i dont know what repair your making , but if your replacing the chain i would advise changing the sprockets also . there cheap enough , all though changing them out takes some time . its also a great time to grease those rear wheel bearings that never seem to get any attention. good luck,tom
          Right on the money

Comment

This is exactly what "Chiefrider" said. My response is the same....I don't have an extra chain. Anyway, I took off the exhaust. Done deal.

Comment

Working...
            X