45 Timing Conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Timing Conflict

My manuals indicate that the circuit breaker is supposed to start to opening the points with the narrow, marked lobe when the front piston is 9/32" before TDC.

The manuals also indicate that the same event is to occur when the vertical timing mark is in the center of the timing inspection hole.

When my front piston is 9/32" below TDC, the timing mark has moved just out of the inspection hole in the forward direction.

When the timing mark is in the center of the hole, my front piston is 3/8" below TDC.

Am I wrong to think that the front piston should be 9/32" below TDC at the same time the vertical timing mark is in the center of the timing inspection hole? I've read posts in this forum referencing gears with the timing mark in the wrong position, is it possible this flywheel mark could be wrong? Could it be a wrong flywheel?

Before I did the top end work, the motor did run with the timing set to the flywheel mark by the builder, but the front cylinder was real hot.

The points are set to .022", the timer is fully advanced, and the flywheel timing mark is at the center of it's hole when the circuit breaker fiber is in line with the timer cam mark.

Should I make a new mark on the flywheel that indicates the front piston is at 9/32" below TDC? It seems like using the timing mark to adjust the circuit breaker will result in an over advanced timing condition.

Could you be confusing Top Dead Center with Top of the Bore? Just a thought. You probably don't want to re-mark your flywheel.

Comment

I.N.-

Thanks for the reply, I hope you're right and it's that simple!

The photograph (Figure 22, page 34) in War Department Manual TM 9-1879 shows the timer side of the engine with the mechanic's hand resting on the carb. holding a steel rule agiainst the top of the front piston at the back wall of the bore. There is no indication that the measurement should include compensation for the piston rising above the top of the bore.

The Palmer book, and the HD 45 Service Manual for WLA-WL-G 1940-1952 describe the procedure the same way.

Tonight I'll pull the heads, see if the piston does rise above the bore, check the total stroke length, and take measurements of the piston travel and valve motion coordination. I've got a detailed description of where the piston should be when the valves open and close.

You're right, I don't want to remark my flywheel, but I also don't want to pull the front head to check the timing, or use the existing mark if it will leave me with early ingnition and a melted piston.

Comment

Ha! You can't believe how happy I am to be wrong.

The piston at TDC is below the top of the bore. When I moved it down the specified 9/32", I was back to the 3/8" measurement from piston top to cylinder top I had Saturday. Of course the flywheel mark was just slightly ahead of the inspection hole center.

You saved me much time and effort, and I'm eternally grateful.

Comment

Working...
        X