generator/alternator conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator/alternator conversion

While in Daytona I spoke with a fellow riding a '29 Indian Scout, who told me he'd done a conversion putting a modern alternator inside his generator housing. He'd also installed 12v bulbs and battery. This sounds very intriguing, as nothing was done in such a way as to prevent a complete restoration in the future. Everything was neat and tidy, and it worked.
    So, does anyone know how this is done? What alternator is used, and will it fit inside my gen. housing ('27 Henderson)?

There are several methods, including one like you mention, on this page: http://virtualindian.org/projgen.htm#kubota

Comment

I did a little follow up checking on the Kubota alternator mentioned there. The correct way to write that part number is 15531-64010. The 64010 seems to be the series number for the alternator. That number appears to have been replaced with the number 64017. It's a cute little alternator, about 4" diameter. Do a search on Ebay for a picture.

Comment

I think first you should consider HONESTLY how often will you be caught after dark riding the Hend at night.

If the answer is little to none. I would stick with 6V and ride with lights off in daytime. A battery tender is a good idea.

Purists in this club will cringe at the mention of 12V conversion.

Get used to riding the bike. Give it two years. You'll find other stuff on the bike to keep you busy.

I have a ND alt. rigged up custom on my 40 Sport Scout bobber. Belt driven off the mag drive houseing, behind the engine, up top. Electronic signal for sprk. It uses orig points. 12V sealed beam head lamp. I do get caught out at night. I need the light. I'm in the mountains sometimes. Wildlife , etc. A 40 SScout drives the gen off of a trouble some wee chain that hangs out up front. It rains alot here also. Gens hanging out up front are not such a good idea. Well -around these parts. So a couple reasons for my conversion. The alt puts out 38amps. A little over kill, but I've got options. A vest if I wanted. and it's only a period modified bobber. So I'd have to mount a mag for judging. Which I can't afford at this point. Maybe I'll get lucky someday. Ohhhhh man... I got work to do on that bike. Gotta get on it. Happy wrenching all!!!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm new to this "old bike" thing, but I have other classics with good lights, and do find myself returning home from cruise-ins/bike nights after dark. I live in a rural area just west of Cincinnati, and we have a lot of deer around here.
          I have no intention of altering the Henderson in such a way as to make any pieces unusable, but 12v lights and a simple brake light would make me feel better.
          I went to my brother's house last evening, where I have the Hend stored, aired the tires to 50 psi, removed the generator belt (no battery), fired it up for a little cruise around the block.
          The cruise didn't happen as there was loud pop from the rear tire. Must have pinched the tube when putting on the new tires.

Comment

I don't think a purist would cringe at a 12v conversion as long as no original parts are ruined. I've seen a few machines with little Denso alternators and when they're painted black most people don't even notice them. You'd lose points in judging but what do you do more often, get judged or ride at night? Does your state even allow "no lights" daytime riding? AdminGuy, I'd like to know more about your setup using the mag drive. Got any pictures? I've been piecing together a 741 and that sounds like a nice setup.

Comment

At the risk of getting excommunicated, I don't see my bike ever getting judged. I didn't buy it to take to show and shines, I bough it to ride, so if someone thinks I'll worry about points being deducted, they don't know me.
              That doens't mean I don't appreciate seeing fine restored machines, but my motto is "ride 'em, don't hide 'em". But I have no reservations about upgrading components to make the bike function better, just as Henderson upgraded bikes as new technology became workable/affordable.
              But I draw the line at making mods that are not easily put back to original.

Comment

A scout with an alt set-up. It's a funny read - enjoy.
                http://www.virtualindian.org/640bobber.html

Ian Davidson could help with the gen to alt conversion. He has experience and alot of Henderson knowledge. If he has time....

Comment

A very good read and very interesting. I take it that there's not enough clearance to drive the alternator directly off the magneto drive?

Comment

Thanks Kojack-
                    The mag drive has an alum cast level platform that the mag is normally bolted onto. Thus you can see the shaft which is taken through two raised pillow blocks. Major pain in the butt getting the alignment correct. Mag drive houseing contains two gears. Shaft is a tappered, keyed fit. Another pain! A modern double lip seal in that also. Which had to be TIGed and cut down for shoulder grip. Another pain. Wooo--Surprise! oil slingers don't work so hot. The whole thing is one interesting experiment.

Main failure of mags seems to be that the bearings were not lubricated and would collaps. As indicated by friction rub on oil slinger. Just another interesting point. oh well... fyi. maitience required. Keep notes. mileage and dates.

Hey MAN! grease those rocker arms. Keep on that! Talk to other Hend guys. Grease gun is your friend. Talk to these guys and make a list of stuff that needs constant attention. Seriously. When the Hend engine starts talking to you - you had better listen. Major $ rebuild.

Diam of alt is too large also. Another interesting point. The modern alt is half the weight of the gen. Gens had heavy iron castings. So for the low center of gravity were mounted up front and low. BUT!!! If that wee chain breakes in the middle of no where. Your done. the water, the brushes, commutator wear.... I didn't have the parts either. Got the alt new and wholesale, my incentive. Ok, I got work to do.

It's doable on the Hend.

Comment

rickeieio,
                      Sorry to hear your still having tire problems. If this is too elementary please overlook.....just trying to help.
                      Are all of the spokes and nipples relatively smooth and are you using a rim strip to protect the tube?
                      After getting the tube and tire on the rim air it up to about 10 psi and "bounce it" all the way around the circumference of the tire. Let the air out, repeat. Then air it up to operating pressure. This process helps get any possible pinches and wrinkles out of the tube, given it wasn't pinched bad upon installation.
                      Good luck
                      johnny

Comment

Johnny,
                        I've been changing tires since dirt was new, and I can still screw up occasionally. So, as far as I'm concerned, you can't be too basic.
                        I was very careful installing this most recent tube. I installed it in early Feb. and hadn't moved the bike since then. My brother aired up the tires this week and commented that the rear was very low. A red light in my head failed to illuminate. Duh.
                        I bought a 21" tube this time, on the logic that the 19" might be easier to pinch. I'll try your trick too. That's how I mount tires on my old Hondas, so the bead seats properly. The tubeless tires on my modern bikes seem to seat themselves.
                        There was no rim band in the wheel previously, but it has some tape wrapped around it. I'll double check that too.

Comment

Good luck on your lights, my Hends lights work - but normally you cant tell it. So dim and such a small tail light, I try to be home before dark on the deluxe. Funny thing though - one time got caught out late on a club ride up in the mountains. Had to ride back to the hotel on dark mountain roads with plenty of curves, surprise, surprise - once my eyes were adappted I could see pretty well and made it back safe no problem :-) Those lights worked better than I thought. Good luck with your clinchers, ride safe.

Comment

For a number of years myself and some friends around the Seattle area riding HD's have been using Lynwood Auto Electric, Lynwood, Wa. to rebuild/convert our 32E 3brush generators to 12 volt 2 brush and using a 12 volt "look alike" electronic voltage regulator available from various sources. To eliminate the points "problem", I've been using the electronic ignition offered by 45 Parts Depot. Works great and will rip your arm off if you accidentally touch a spark plug. With careful installation you can totally hide your conversion. Lights always work, a halogen headlight bulb works well, and you can even use a pair of electric gloves, if you are so inclined. Moisture has not been a problem with either installation. As to longevity, I don't have a clue. Mine has been on the road for about 3-4 years and about 15k trouble free miles. I'm using one of the AGM mini 12 volt batteries available from VT# 53-0549 in my '32 V bike.
                            Ron

Comment

Working...
                            X