Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert carbs

Here we go!
    I was putting those floats I got from Cotten today into my two M-74's, and noticed that the throttle shafts are different. The one I had on my running bike has holes on one side of the shaft only. The rebuilt spare I got about a year ago has holes on both sides. Is there detailed info on these carbs I can check? Does anybody know if it matters? Right now I am just curious, but if I go to use the carb, or even sell or trade it sometime, I would like to know what I have.
    Mike
    PS
    Does anybody else have problems typing on these teeny, touchy keys on these d#*n computers?!!!!

I recommend asking Cotten. Sharpest Man I know of with carbs.

Yep........me too ! Try using only one finger, I do. I have too. If I didn't, my replies would look like cuss words. Paps

Comment

Mike!

Sorry for the late reply, but distractions are getting overwhelming.

I don't understand how you would install a disc without the holes through the shaft,....(unless you solder it). Didn't the disc rattle?

I got a batch from Eastern where I had to tap the holes from ~#5? to #6, but they still had all the holes. (Now if they could just get the slot width right....)

....Cotten

Comment

Oops! I meant the main nozzle. You must be wondering about me. Don't bother. I'll tell you: I do stupid things all the time! But hey, my animals still love me. I have always felt what a person lacks in intelligence can be made up for with perseverance. And a little dumb luck doesn't hurt from time to time.
        Mike

Comment

Hi, You do have a manual to follow along with the rebuild I hope. Additional info can be found @ victorylibrary.com for these carbs in detail. If you talking about the carb body main center fuel stem, the 2 threaded holes on either side are for a main jet and the other on stock performance engines is a dummy plug. From what you may be describing that's my thought. Both thottle and choke plates should be installed with screws, lock washers, along with lock tight.

Comment

I just checked my photo library and only found the bombsight nozzle to have any holes on the backside (left two images at http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...?threadid=3066).

It is possible the pics just don't show it on the M74B nozzle (right), so I must check examples at the shop today for variances.

....Cotten

Comment

Hello guys, from my literature the M-36A, M61, M61B Type D nozzle Carbs for the 1950-1952 EL model H-D used a main nozzle with holes on both sides at the bottom in the bowl, some main nozzles had cut outs at the top in the venturi of the carb as well as some had small holes drill there instead to, They differed with the engine need for fuel and or performance. There are several different main jet nozzles used between H-D and Indian on their Carbs. If you have several bikes that run these carbs look into the above mentioned Victorylibrary.com It's call the Linkert Book and is very helpfull on the spot. Keep riding em Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Hi again
                Well, like I said, this is a m-74 B, off of my 1965 FLH. Part # 38 in the parts book, for Harleys, '58 to '68. The carb I had on my bike which worked good, has a main nozzle with 5 holes on one side, in a vertical row. The square alignment shoulder is a solid square. The main nozzle on the rebuilt extra carb I have, is a little taller, and has 5 holes on one side, 5 holes on the opposite side, and one more hole just above the alignment shoulder. The shoulder is more of a 4 point thing, than a solid square like the first nozzle. Anyone know what the difference is? Which way do I point the holes when I put it back in the carb? I had replaced my cork float in the carb I had on the bike with the "latest, greatest" brass float, and the rebuilt one I got had a brass float too. I haven't had the bike back together yet, so I hadn't used either carb. I tested both of the floats, as per the fridge/ hot water test. They both leaked like a sieve!One through holes on the surface, and the other from bad solder around the float pivot screw hole. What junk! I replaced them with Cotten's floats. Anyone that has real knowledge on this, please let me know. Also, how "loose can the venturi be, before it is at the wear limit? The only problem I had with my carb was a condition that started shortly before I tore the machine down. When I would let off the throttle slightly, and just let the bike roll more on it's own, I noticed a little roughness/miss. I tried several adjustments, but they didn't seem to help. It did seem better when I ran it without the air cleaner. This bike has always run strong and clean up until this time. I mean perfect. Well, there you go. I hope I put enough info in this thread to guide any help I get.
                Mike

Comment

Mike!

The orientation of the nozzle should make no difference.

A loose venturi has two disadvantages: It allows air around it, and it rattles and wears upon the nozzle spigot for another air leak. If you can see daylight around the venturi, its loose.

Your roughness/miss sounds like a classic vacuum leak...Have you pressuretested?

...Cotten
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the response, Cotten. I don't have the motor together to test yet, and won't for at least a couple of months. What about the different number of holes in the main nozzles? And different height?
                    Mike

Comment

Mike!

Apparently one of your nozzles is either one of the bizarre varieties that Magic mentioned, or one that someone got creative with, or both.

....Cotten

Comment

The tube with the extra holes and height must be for racing, or possibly running at certain altitudes? Like you say, even though it looks like the stock one in construction, it very well could be custom made. I will say, these little mysteries are kind of fun to figure out. When I get the bike together I will have to stick it in, and see what happens. Would it **** more gas, or less with the extra holes?
                        Mike

Comment

Mike!

The holes meter air, not fuel, after the initial purge of emulsion upon accelleration.

....Cotten

Comment

I belive the nozzle you are talking about with the holes on both sides is pictured in How to Restore on p.247. It is discribed as #27733-50 used in 1950-1952 61 OHV. It looks very similar to a M-74b nozzle only with additional holes on the backside.

Comment

Thanks. I ordered the book.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X