Restoring Jd Fuel Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Jd Fuel Tanks

Our body shop is restoring a set of JD tanks. There are 3 small holes on the top of each tank. These holes would be beneath the panel that links the 2 halves together. Our question is what is the purpose of the holes? Should we be sure to include these holes when we put new metal in place? This is our first attempt on parts this old. Any advice would be appreciated.

regarding the three holes under the tank top panel. I believe they need holes to either feed solder in the central area under the panel likely using a form to squeeze the panel down onto the tank proper. It was probably to make sure there is enogh solder every where possible under the panel and avoid sections that might trap air and moisture over time. The other possibily in my thinking is that if the proccess used too much solder intentionally to get rid of air pockets, they would also need these escape holes to rid of the extra solder. Either way, the holes I would remake and atleast you have a way to feed more solder in till your satisfied its a solid panel. Any other opinions? My thinking is all I can offer. Its one of those "factory secrets". we need to figure out ourselves some times I guese....Joe

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We thought the holes may have to do with relieving pressure while soldering. What you said makes sense. We'll pass it along to the rad shop that will solder them back together.

Comment

Working...
      X