sand/media/bead blasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sand/media/bead blasting

starting the 47 chief project , i have a blasting cabinet (cheap one)i have several questions im hoping someone can help with.first off , whats the difference in the above mentioned blasting techniques . secondly which one would be best for my application , which is generally removing paint and rust from the small steel parts that are to be painted .thirdly?what is the best technique for the engine cases,primary, tranny etc (aluminum parts)fourthly?the gun that came with my cabinet is a piece of junk ,where can i find a quality replacement gun?thanks in advance guys,i did a search in here for this info and it seems noone ever posted a comprehensive guide to sandblasting

I bought a very nice blast gun from Snap On,with replacable carbide tips, expensive but worth the money. For paint and rust on steel or iron, silica sand or aluminum oxide works best. Aluminum oxide is expensive and breaks down into a very nasty fine dust. I buy sand at the local builders supply for about 6.00 for a 80# bag. Glass bead is great for cleaning engine parts but must be used at low pressure to keep it from being turned to powder and contaminating internal parts.

Comment

when you say silica sand , is this commonly known as "black beauty"?i have some in med. and coarse grit.it has worked okay in the past but it still takes awhile to get off even the lightest of paint

Comment

koane,i went to snap ons web sight and the closest thing i could find was what looked like a self contained gizmo....model #psb500ar it said nothing about carbide etc...........would you have a model #on yours so i can get a "virtual " feel for it ?sometimes living in the sticks is a pain cause everything is so far away and you have to rely on photos.thanks again,tom

Comment

The real abrasive blasting agents are silicon carbide, aluminum oxide and sand (silica). They do the heavy work. For lighter cleaning, like on alumimum cases, use glass beads. For more delicate work, like cleaning carbon deposits from heads, use crushed walnut shells or plastic beads. But, you will find that the size of some of these, like crushed walnut shells, require a larger nozzle and more air flow than your compressor may be able to deliver. But, what you can do, is use the finer grit stuff, but just turn down the blast pressure. Then go in and hand finish with Brillo pads or steel wool.

Comment

swall,
            thanks for the info , i used to have my blasting done for me but "my guy"is out of business now ,besides it cant be rocket science right?i just dont want to ruin anything when a little research can prevent it

Comment

I took a look at my gun in the bead blaster and was suprised to find it to be a Speedaire brand. I use the thing almost every day and hadn't noticed. When I sold my shop in town I let the new owners use my blast cabinet until they bought one and at some point they must have pulled the old switcheroo.

Comment

cheifrider,
                Go to www.tptools.com
                Good selection of blasting equipment and accessories, and very informative on media selection. I purchase glass beads at my local Tractor Supply.
                johnny

Comment

They are located about a 1/2 hour from me. Real nice showroom if you get the chance to visit them. Paps

Comment

Working...
                  X