Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Light lenses.

Hey guys and gals!
    I have been seeing a lot of so-called "Harley" tail light lenses on ebay recently. They are saying they are the same on certain year cars, or something. People are paying good money for these things. Didn't the red Harley tail light lenses for the later style pans have "guidex" on them? These lenses fit, but they are not actually proper. Right? I bought one for twelve bucks. I don't know what the repops go for, but I feel kind of stupid now. Any reponse on this? Thanks.

1948-54 chevy panel trucks use the same guidex taillamp lens as the panheads , i have both types so i'll have to check details but they do interchange

Comment

Yup, those are the ones. Thet are the same size, but have a different (Chevy?) part number on them and don't say Guidex on them. Let me know what you find.
      Mike

Comment

I have one of the Chevrolet lenses NOS in the box. They are glass and have:
        1> At the very top, in small capital letters, says "TOP" (logical, eh?)
        2> Below that it says, in caps, "Guide R-17 T"
        3> At the bottom it has the Chevrolet part number, "5936906"
        4> At the very bottom in very small caps, "STIMSONITE"
        I have seen several of these listed on eBay as Harley lenses which they are not though they will fit.

These were used on GMC and Chevy panel trucks and Suburbans, from maybe 1950 (?) until 1959 on the left door as an extra brake light. Below this lamp was the tag so the lamp also had a tag light.

V-Twin also sells a plain glass lens with no print. It is my understanding that all the H-D units had a plastic lens of which there are two versions, one sorta flat and one where the flat lens is protuding.

I'll use the Chevrolet lens in my '66 in a '56 frame, because I can, I reckon. Period modified??

Lonnie

Comment

That is what I figured. The one I paid 12 bucks for is plastic. It has the two circles, with SAE-STDB-59 at the top, and GB228 at the bottom. It doesn't have the lettering like the expensive, but correct(?) repo I got from Old Dude. Is there anywhere one can get the later(60's) Harley info, for sure? It isn't that long ago. I consider it a shame if we don't continue to document these bikes and specs. Why is it we have better info on 75 year + old bikes, than the newer ones? I just don't want a new generation of restorer/collectors to be ripped off. I believe Clete's part is correct. So what is with all these others? Some are being sold by so-called experts. Even one who has his own little museum, and who is NEVER WRONG(?). This little tail light lens might be a small thing to some, but when one has put a lot of effort and money into making a bike correct, you know how it is.

Comment

I looked over some tail lamps that I have on bikes and in boxes.
            4 examples of -69 tail lamps, which I believe were used from 69 thru early 73. The reflector is in the center of the lens.

Lamp body top is stamped MADE IN USA above GUIDE 97 SAE R 68.
            The outlook lens in marked in raised lettering toward rear edge, GUIDE 97 L 68.
            The red lens is marked with raised lettering, 5933144 at the top,
            Guidex in script on each side near screw holes, and at the bottom, with GUIDE 97 SAE STB 68.

3 examples of of -55 tail lamps, which I believe were used from 55 thru 68. There are two overlapping reflectors in the center of the lens.

Lamp body is stamped MADE IN USA above GUIDE RH-55.
            The outlook lens is unmarked.
            The red lens is marked with raised lettering, TOP at top, SAE-ST at 3 o'clock, with this marking arranged to be read sideways from the right, and at the bottom, with GUIDE-RH-55.

All my outlook lenses are glass, and all red lenses are plastic.
            The early red lens is almost flush with the door when installed. The later lens protrudes about 5/8" past the door.
            Each type of lamp appears to use it's own type of lamp socket, with different mounting hole patterns.
            The lamps themselves are interchangeable.
            VPH-D

Comment

OK, thanks. I still don't know why one will have Guidex on it, and some don't. Actually, if you look close, the glass license plate piece has lettering on the edge of it, too. You can't see it when installed. The 68's are pretty common, and that is what you see at swap meets, usually. Obviously for 68 up. Yes the 68 is a deeper lens. So, I still don't know if just one of these is right for my 65, or not. Look right in the middle of your RH-55 lens, It should say Guidex, and then TOP at the top. Thanks for the response on this item.
              Mike

Comment

Here's another one to add to the pile.

My 62 which I have had for 27 years has TOP on the top, SAE-ST on the left side, GUIDE RH-55 on the bottom....and Guidex in written script in app. 1/16" letters dead centre. It has a 3/16" dot raised to the inside,with raised rings propagating out from it except directly below it is about a 1" circle with raised ???? sort of like rasp teeth.

Comment

Thanks. The repo I got from Clete is just like that, except for the lettering on the side. I thought it was supposd to be an exact copy, but..........?
                  Mike

Comment

One other question. Can you see that SAE-ST when it is installed in the case?

Comment

Yes you can....and it reads from bottom to top. That is, you have to turn your head 90 degrees to the left to read it parallel to your sight.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the feedback on this. This is what the forum is all about.
                        Mike

Comment

You're welcome....and the next time I get to my buddies place I will have a look at his 65 and see what it looks like. It's probably original as he's had the bike for 26 years and it was originally a police bike from around here.

Comment

My -55 lenses do say Guidex in script in the middle of the lens. I don't know how I missed this!
                            VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                            X