Indian speedo prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian speedo prices

So..what happened to the Indian speedo market?
    Prices are lower than they were 10 years ago, while the bikes continue to climb.
    Is it the availability of restored and/or aftermarket?
    It looks like I'm going to have to take a beating on a SW that I bought years ago as an "investment"!
    Oh, well.
    You win some...

Good question. I've got an orig 741B that works, looks good. No one seems to be interested?

Comment

there are a few speedos out there that I would consider paying "all the wood" for ! One being a 1938 with trip meter,but then again mine has a good one so the price would have to be fair I guess, I think things may have leveled off for awhile ???

Comment

I'd say the availability of repros made them less desirable. I'm not going to spend big bucks for one and then be afraid to use and possibly damage it when I can slap a cheap repro on the bike and not worry about it. The originals will always have a market but that market is a little more limited now. I have two SW originals that are good for cores, anyone want to trade for a couple of repros? Looks like I'm stuck too.

Comment

I would think that in todays world, what is valuable is in the eye of the beholder ( read: buyer) It is like buying stocks, you hold for the long run. What comes around goes around and one day your "investment" may be valuable again.--But then again this is the mindset that puts this hobby out of reach for many folk-----

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette
            --But then again this is the mindset that puts this hobby out of reach for many folk-----
            You're probably right.
            I've seen some hoarders...paying whatever it takes to get a glass case full of '38 speedos.
            Which is partially why I'm about to take an over-$150 beating on this speedo and sell it to a guy who needs it.
            Maybe what goes around really will come around....

Comment

The only reason I have spares is I buy when I find and usually only buy for MCs I have!In days past Ive had speedos goo bad and not had a replacement on hand,I dont like the feeling of having to then look for something I need and have the feeling of being "over a barrell" so to speak then you are right Id pay way more for it,(speedo or other part).
              Charlie why would you take a 150 dollar loss??? So you bought the speedo just to make money??? if so then dont cry,maybe $$$$ signs clouded your judgement Any rate I hope it turns out positive for you and if the person doesnt buy it let me know maybe we can at least see you brake even

Comment

[i]
                Charlie why would you take a 150 dollar loss??? So you bought the speedo just to make money??? if so then dont cry,maybe $$$$ signs clouded your judgement Any rate I hope it turns out positive for you and if the person doesnt buy it let me know maybe we can at least see you brake even [/B]
                I've found in the past that when I have a few bucks, I often bought motorcycle parts.
                I've enjoyed the process of buying and selling them, and I've made a few bucks.
                I'm not crying, so spare me the judgement.
                I'm selling the speedo because I'm in debt from having been unemployed for 2 of the past 5 years, and I need some money whether I have to take a beating or not.
                There...how's that for crying.

Comment

i just managed to make my first sale on ebay and it turned out well for me.whenever i buy a part i tag it for what it cost me.now i am building a 47-48 bike and i have a shelf full of stuff.being as i am building ,of course i am in the "market"for many things.as i shop, waiting for swap meet time, i noticed i way overpaid for some stuff ,while on the other hand i got some deals on others (was that a run-on sentence??) i also have a bunch of n.o.s stuff in the original packaging............guess what?its getting unpackaged and installed as it was meant to be . i guess i thank all the guys who haved saved this stuff but ive seen all to many times a guy who has spent lots of dough and saved some nice stuff ,only to die and some "honest dealer "comes in and waves 10000 around and leave with 50000 worth of stuff. leaving the family thinking they made out like a bandit.(this happened to a close personal friend of mine)allthough i think now, with computers, pretty much everyone knows what stuff is worth.ok.......im done

Comment

Chiefrider--You made an interesting statement when you refered to " swap meets". Those were truly the old days when you could swap what was valuable to someone else for a part that was valuable to you. Nowdays it just seems like $ changing hands. There are hardly swap meets anymore, the times when enthusiasts helped other enthusiasts to build their ride or keep it on the road. We need to, as a hobby get back to that----Michael

Comment

I would not mind if all of my old Motocycles had NO monetary value. That would keep the profiteers and the Weekend 'Enthusiasts' out of the picture.

Comment

Amen, indianut Amen..........

Comment

I refer to my scout bobber as "just rusty old junk". I built it, I ride it, I love it, it's my baby. My faith has been restored a few times by other riders of all brands that have stopped to help me as I got the bugs worked out of it. Hopefully this will be the final season of corrections and adjustments. hee-hee....

Most of the guys that participate actively in a local club/clubs) and road runs with other guys quickly develop friendships. Well... if your a good guy. And HE L L YES we do help each other out, as good people do. I just find it real hard as the west coast guys mostly know each other. We are few in number. It's hard to get to know the east coast guys. I should try to get out there and catch a RRun and a swap. That would be really neat.

Comment

Swap meets?

I agree with all your comments on the meets, etc. But everybody has to start somewhere, and you can't trade if you don't have anything. Also, today this game is so expensive, if someone is new, they would have top be rich to build up a supply of parts. 4 cylinder Indians? An engine rebuild is around $20, 000.00? Sure, Ill have a bunch of those! There are people in the AMCA that have been doing this for many years, and bought their parts cheap, and have good connections. Then there are the newer people who have what? If I could mow your grass for a carb I would, but I don't see this happening. I have three "old bikes" and they are new to some of our members. I have never seen anyone at one of the meets turning down money for parts, even though I imagine it does happen once in a great while. So I guess we all just have to accept each other and do the best we can. I try to live within my means on my bikes, and that way I don't have to bitch too much. The more exposure our sport has, the more interest will be generated, and that means more demand, and higher prices. There just really isn't anything you can do about it. As always: Ride 'em, don't hide 'em.

Comment

I'll be going to Eustis this year as I have been going to the Florida meets since the early 70's. I can only think of a few meets I have gone to that I didn't bring something to sell or trade. I have always believed that buying and SELLING are the lifeblood of this hobby and a great way to meet new people and learn new things. This year I will bring nothing to sell. I have always been very resonable on my prices and if someone really needed something and they weren't a dealer I would give them a sweetheart deal. Well, I believe that should be a two way street, but it don't work that way no more. I know there has always been a mercenary element to collecting parts and I'm as guilty of that as anyone but when you see the same people year after year and past favors are not reciprocated, it leaves a bitter taste. My philosophy about this hobby or any hobby is that it should be fun but when you add the element of money you are treading on thin ice. I used to believe surplus parts should be liquidated if you didn't expect to go down that road again because that is what keeps this hobby healthy. Now I'm encountering "friends" who will not let anything out of their vaults. The old "I want it all" syndrome. I think I'm just going to take a break from the parts end of this hobby and try to enjoy the social end and hope that improves my cynical attitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X