Engine Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Help

Hello All - I was formally here before as crewcabdave. Change user to vldave. I have a VL Harley 1930- Have some engine problems. Just pulled heads and inspected valves. Don't see any obvious problems?? Pulled front cylinder. Piston and rings seem ok. Some rough lines in lower piston. My problems were running problems. Tom Cotton rebuilt my carb completely (Awesome Job!!) New peak intake seals. Installed seal plate to check for leaks. Engine Wouldn't hold any pressure. Could hear air in crankcase. Need help - looking for someone you could recommend to work on engine. I think I am in over my head - 1st VL - No knowledge with this one. Have mechanical ability - But need help on this one. Could pull engine if I could find right person to look it over - Any help would be greatful - David

vldave,
    Wish i could help, but do not have any mechanical knowledge of internal combustion engines, however there is a gentleman in your area who is VERY knowledgable and always willing to work on everyones projects but his own. If my memory serves me correct, he lives in a town named Bartlett, Tn.. Looking at the map this is not far from you. I'm sure if you look in the club roster you can locate him. I think he is a past President of the Confederate Chapter..........
    Let me know if i can be of further assistance David
    jww

Comment

vldave,
      Upon giving your situation more consideration, i feel your problem is catastrophic in nature of which VL's are notorious to fail. Please give me a call and i will consider relieving you of this burdon at a discounted price.
      Best Regards
      jww

Comment

That jww what a guy

Comment

Awe Chuck, just good ol' southern boy's trying to help each other!
          My phone rang about 2 minutes after touching the submit reply button. Dave is a good guy and he will get the VL up and performing to his desire. Its easy to get overwhelmed in this hobby.
          jww

Comment

David!

Your post gets confusing when you write:Installed seal plate to check for leaks. Engine Wouldn't hold any pressure. Could hear air in crankcase.

If you are referring to pressuretesting the manifold, do not expect anything to "hold" pressure. The leaktest is merely to put a differential pressure upon the manifold so bubbles will show if there is a problem, as per the instructions I sent with the carb. To do that, you just kick it through until the intakes are closed, or nearly so, as a regulator on your compressor can keep it down to 12 or 15 psi.

If you pressurize the combustion chambers, then (depending upon where it is on its stroke) you may hear leakage past either valve or even past the rings into the crankcase. That in itself is not cause for alarm, although a trained ear might diagnose other concerns.

If pressuretesting still is not clear, please review the discussion at
            http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

....Cotten

Comment

Working...
            X