Aluminum rocker covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum rocker covers

I have a set of used aluminum rockers I am fixing up for my '65 FLH. I am getting the dents out and flattening them OK. One polished up fine. The other one looks milky on both the curved and the flat sides. The rest of it shined up fine. I went by the instructions I got in a video from Eastwood. These have worked fine on other pieces I have done. I completely did it three times, and the same result each time. I started with Tripoli on the proper buff, then white rouge, and Simi by hand. This doesn't make sense to me. I MEAN IT IS ALUMINUM, SO WHAT CAN BE DIFFERENT ABOUT PART OF ONE COVER? It is just as smooth as the other one. I think it had been chromed at one time, because of the copper that was impregnated in the bottom of the lip still. I am new to doing this myself, so maybe I am just ignorant about it. I will appreciate any feedback on this. Mike

You are probably running into some nickel that escaped the stripping process when the chrome was removed.

Comment

Well, in reply to my own question. I talked to an expert polisher, and he said that some of the aluminum, and pot metal castings had water, of other contaminants in them and that there really is not any cure. It also could be the nickel left from chroming, like Koanes said. I don't know about that, though, beacause where the copper was, on the bottom of the lip, you could plainly see the metal left on there. I guess that is why I bought three sets. I am sure I will get at least one good pair out of these junky looking pans. They do get some stuff baked on the inside, don't they?I remember, while looking for a bike like this, I talked to a guy who had completely redone a Duo Glide. He said, unless you have a lot of money, time, and skill, look for one already done, or close to mint. Well, I do have a lot of time.................... Thankfully, I've got an obsessive nature, and I think you need that to get these bikes right. At least the Harleys, anyway. I must say, that growing up on European bikes, they are a lot easier to work on, without all the fancy doodads, and parts just added on every year of a bikes run. But I love 'em!
      Mike

Comment

Mike!

Time is money, except to individuals working on their personal machines: There is reward to putting your own 'sweat equity' into resurrecting genuine parts that money cannot buy.
        But frankly from a shop's point of view, it is more penny-for-penny efficient to purchase some Paughco's,.. have them anodized,.. and then grind them flat,... than to 'worry' some battle-scarred pans into shape before spending for the last two steps anyway.

Either way, make certain that your valves are not sunk so far that the collars or rockers dimple their beauty!

...Cotten

Comment

Back again.
          Don't worry, the motor is being done. Got one valve that is a lttle too high. Just gonna use oversize Rowe valve. The seats look good. We are going to scrutinze it Sat. Gonna have to go about 60 over on the cylinders. When I got the cylinders back from bead blasting, there was a chip in the bottom of one of the liners. It is small, opposite the pin clearance cut out. Just gonna check for roundness of the cylinder, and feather the edges of the chip. Thanks for the interest in what I am doing. I will be back a lot, I'm sure!
          Mike

Comment

Oh yeah, one more question. What is this anodizing thing? On 1965 covers? Hmmm.............
            Mike

Comment

Thanks for the info on anodizing. I did not realize that the aluminum rocker covers were anodized.

Gary

Comment

Sorry for this late reply,
                but aluminum pancovers certainly weren't polished.

I have tried to fake an anodized finish with successive different blast media,... but there is nothing like the real thing.

....Cotten

Comment

Hey, thanks Cotten. Were all years of the aluminum rocker covers
                  anodized?

Gary

Comment

Gary!

I suspect so, but,...
                    I know nothing for certain about HD!

....Cotten

Comment

One dealer I talked to said the only difference between the repops and the originals is the holes are a little bigger on the repops to allow them to be aligned better. I just picked up my heads today, so I need to know the answer to this for sure, now. I can't afford to waste money on stuff that won't pass muster.
                      Mike

Comment

One thing you have to be careful of on repop pan covers is the location of the holes. I've seen a few where the holes were not located correctly and extended very slightly into the bend where the cover sides rise vertically. Though covers like these can be installed, the screws actually get into the cover side with the result being an annoying minor leak. Look closely before installing.

Comment

How things change

Uh huh.....
                          .50 is all I am going over with new pistons and rings, at 8:1 compression ratio. It took a while to get the right pistons. Man, you gotta check and recheck stuff. So what else is new, right? I went with Don Sullivan @ Headhog, and had the heads completely redone. I guess it is better to wait until the money is there and do it right. I guess the chipped liner is OK. I'm not used to long term projects like this, but I hope to get the bike together this winter. I think I have finally found a practically new set of original aluminum rocker covers, so I hope to have that taken care of too. Anyone in N W Ohio that might want to help put the motor and tranny back in, that knows what they are doing on a 65 FLH?
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X