suspicious engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspicious engine noise

I have got a 42 WL which I rode now for about 2000 miles without major problems.
    However at higher rpm (50 mph) I think I can hear a ringing sound from the engine which seems to come from the right side and which seems suspicious to me and unknown to me.
    The general performance seems to be unaffected.

Is anybody familiar with this and can advice what the root cause could be?

Appreciated feedback.

Thanks

Oliver

I had a knucklehead that had bad piston slap and it made a ringing noise at higher speeds. I couldn't specifically tell you what noises it made at low speed because it made a variety of odd noises which weren't audible at high speed because of the wind. I would assume that if it were piston slap you would be able to induce it on the side stand by reving the engine. I do recall that it didn't have much of an effect on the performance, but then that bike was such a pig that just running was a bonus.

The very nature of motorcycle construction is a breeding ground for odd harmonics and it can be very difficult to pinpoint an irritating "ringing" sound. Sheet metal is a common suspect. Loose gas tanks will make a deep ringing sound as well as exhaust systems and air cleaners. I'd try all of the accessible objects before going into the motor.

Comment

mollo....I certainly would'nt discount any engine problems. But my 42 WLA has aluminum heads, and those things emit a very audible ringing sound. Not so with the iron heads.

Those high alum. fins catch the vibrations. If you tap on them they have that same ring to them.

Just another possibility to consider....Rod

Comment

Working...
      X