Saddlebags Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlebags Again

I've read the previous posts about restoring saddlebags and notice that most are a year old. Are there any new products around to bring a set of 62yr old bags back to life? Is "Lexol" still the best thing out there?

At what point do you guys consider just tossing these thing away? Mine are almost as stiff as cardboard now and look as though they where stored under a pile that de-formed them considerably.

I'm not looking to get them into show condition. Just want them good enough to use for a everyday rider. Would submerging them into a sink full of water for a few days be a good starting point to try and reform them? Thanks for any tips you can provide.-Steve

I remember just recently reading a post as to brining back leather but don't recall the site. It seemed that everyone hated what was recomended. I'm not sure what you would use now but by all means DO NOT SOAK THEM IN WATER!! That is how they got so hard in the first place, by wather rincing away the tanning oils. Heat is also an enemy. I had always thought that if you soaked it in warm iol that it would be benificial but now I'm not so sure on what to do. Untill you decide what to do, you should keep them in a cool-dry place (unless that idea gets shot down too). Good luck!

TR

Comment

Guess I should learn to use spell check, hu?

Comment

I think I also read that thread you where describing and they never did agree on a course of action other than sending them to a pro which is not an opition for me right now. The biggest swap-meet of the year for me is next week-end and I need my cash for that.
        I've got 2 problems the way I see it:
        1)-To somehow get these bags back into some sort of original form.
        2)-To revive the leather. (They are out of shape worse than the leather is bad.)

Comment

WOW, nice bags!! I still think that if you wher to soak them in a tub of mineral or baby oil that they would loosen up some. You could forget about it for a few weeks/months and see how they progress. Sun, wind, rain, ect. remove the tanning oils in them. I would guess that one would need to replace that oil with something compatable. Hand rubbing is not an option as that is very labor intence. Once you get them loosened up, you can have them repaired at a local leather/shoe repair shop. I have two original seats that need attention and would like to know the proper action to take. Good luck!

TR

Comment

You should review the thread "Saddlebags", January 8, 2006 in the Panhead catagory. Paquette had some great advice that I used to bring some rock hard "51 era bags back to life.

Comment

Yeah thats the thread I read also. I'm going to be looking for some "Lexol" to soften up the bags. But that still leaves me with finding away to get the bags back into the correct shape. I'll start with getting them softened up first and maybe the correct shape will come back. I'll keep ya all posted on any progress I make. -Steve

Comment

I can tell you that my bags were badly deformed and the leather was very hard. I know people are saying not to soak them in water but that, and saddle soap is what softened the leather enough to make them workable for me. I then used a lot of Lexol, and I mean a lot of Lexol and worked it in. On H-D bags, they used a 3/16" steel wire frame inside the bags to maintain the shape. Maybe metal frames would help your bags if they don't have them. The last thing I did was put them on my bike and used them. This has alone, has done wonders for the shape and softness of the bags, but I don't know why. This is just a personal testimonial which worked for my saddlebags but may not work on yours. Paquette is the man to talk to and from what I have read by him on this forum, he is very generous with his knowledge.

Comment

Metal frames....... That would explain the metal clips inside the bags. Thanks Eric Now I'm wondering if those metal frames are still avaliable? I can probbily fab up some for myself if they can't be found. I was hoping Paquette would jump in here but I would imagine this is his busy time of year. Anyway I've decided that soaking them overnight in the sink can't hurt. My reasoning being that if something is thirsty then you give it water. What could go wrong?.... right? I'll keep ya posted. -Steve

Comment

Well here they are. Been soaking for a few hours in hot water and glycerin. I've already flushed the water twice before this photo. Maybe once more. Then on to the saddle soap while there still wringing wet. I'll see how it goes. -Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jim Moser from NM mentioned mineral oil. I'm experimenting on some old car leather seats that I just gutted, resewn and fixed the seat heater wires. So I'll let you know how the mineral oil works on the real dried and cracked leather. So far -so good. but I only have access to the surface in most cases.

I'd be careful with the surface of the leather if it's water soaked. You can scare the surface. ie the skin. With a brush that is too stiff. Gotta be gentil with a nylon brush.

Any comments about mineral oil?

Comment

Well OK, soaking them in a tub of water for 2 hrs had very little effect on the texture of the leather but it has allowed me to reform the bags somewhat.

So how's that mineral oil working out for ya? Once these things dry out a bit I'll be ready to try something else. You can see from the photo these bags still have severe cracking of the leather on the lids.

Comment

I don't think there is anything you can do about the cracking and checking. Obviously there is a surface finish on leather, hence the rough side and the smooth side. Unless you can refinish the surface ( like sanding a rough board) I think you're stuck with it. I'm not going to say anything else about that because I don't know beans about leather. My bags still have the cracking but they don't look as cracked as they did when they were all dried out and hard. Your original goal was to have a serviceable set of bags for a daily rider which you're close to having. Those bags would look great on an older restoration. By the way, what are they going on ?

Comment

Eric, Thanks for reminding me of my original goal. Sometimes I try to get things better than they need to be. And this would be be one of those cases. I'll keep putting the saddle soap on em and come spring how ever they look thats how there going to be used.

They came with the 1945WL that I aquired a few months back. Here's a photo. Can you tell I like photo's?

Still haven't had it running yet but I'm getting closer. -Steve

Comment

Those bags will be a good period matched accessory. Great picture and great bike. By the way Steve, could you give me crash coarse on posting pictures like yours. I've looked at file sharing sites and the ones I've looked at want a subscription fee after a short free trial. Is there a free site that isn't spam ridden? Also, I read on this forum that to you need to put [img] on both sides of the file name to make the picture appear with the post. I'd appreciate any tips you could give me.

Comment

Working...
                              X