Horn Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Repair

Does anyone know the procedure to repair a 6 volt horn on a 1947 Chief? Horn does not blow, contact points are clean inside the horn. When electrical power and a ground are applied to the 2 terminals; and you manually open the points a good spark is seen. Question: How is this horn adusted?

just from past experience of fixing a few horns. Not familiar with specifics of yours.

Sounds like she ain't vibrating - you gotta gut it.

The contacts have a reed adjustment screw which controls the amount it vibrates. Cleaning the contact area and adjusting the screw (play with it) to dial in the correct tone. *side note here- sometimes just spinning the screw in and out can free it and make it work. well - if you've got a horseshoe up your ----

The diaphram - diafram must be free also(no rust floating around behind it, drain hole at bottom). I've tried to fix corroded diaphrams with little luck over the long run. Sometimes you can cannabalize something modern for parts.

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/indust.htm

Horns **** a ton of current. use a 6V batt recharger to play.

Never test a near dead battery by hitting the horn. I just about slapped a guy in the head once who did that.

Best of luck.

Paul Edwards---

Comment

With a battery attached and the points closed the core should become magnetic. Did it attract a screwdriver? When you install the diaphragm it needs to be installed so the tit on it will force the points open when it's attracted in. Here's a link to an article I did up on horn adjustment ... Perry

Comment

whoooo.... that was a nice little ditty. Thanks Perry.

Oh ya- "infinite resistance" is the big numeral one on the left side. Symbolic of a figure 8. Well on a modern digital DMM that is. But you all know that - right?

Comment

Thank Guys for the quick reply; and may I say detailed explanation. I have been working on antique cars and motorcycles for over 40 years and horn repair has always been touch and go.
          I never had a spec for the air gap, which I suspect is the problen here. Thanks

Comment

I don't know about your horn, but the air gap for a Klaxon !! horn is 0.028". I'm sure your's can't be far off that.

Comment

Thanks again to all that responded.
              Fixed the problem, it was the air gap adjustment.
              I suspect someone had worked on this horn before; and gave up. Originally I had cleaned the points and checked the coil; but your help got me adjusted properly.

Comment

Working...
              X