32E generator tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E generator tags

Looking for opinions on the material used for 32E id tags. I think Palmer states they were brass up to 1944-45. What years used the zinc? tags? Every one I've looked at recently was the zinc? kind. Thanks...
    VPH-D

Are you doubting brass was used? I've seen a lot with brass tags and even a few with copper tags. I have no reason to doubt Palmer's date of 44/45ish for the switch to zinc tags ... Perry

Comment

I guess I should have been more clear in my question. I'm not doubting Palmer's book, it's my favorite motorcycle book, and a tremendous work. I will need to buy a generator for my 45 FL, and I want to get the correct one.
      VPH-D
      PS. Perry, any word on knuckle dash bases?

Comment

The switch to a neoprene oil seal was around 45 or 46. One quick visual check is to look at the drive end. If there are four rivets around the bearing it was a originally equipped with a felt seal. No rivets it has the lipped seal. If it has the rivets then check if it's completely round on the drive end or has a notch in it. Completely round is VL era ... Perry

Comment

Working...
        X