No announcement yet.

Sport Scout double seat mounting help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Scout double seat mounting help?

Sending out smoke signals here fellas..... Could anyone PLEASE help me with a photo or literature copy of how to mount a Scout double seat? Not a Chummie. A proper scout double seat. They were a little narrower and generally smaller than a Chummie. Any info or photos greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Did they use an earily chief double rear spring with a "U" bar?

Can anyone explain to me how a chummie or buddie seat suspention works. I see the pogo as main. Then a helper spring on the rear. Can this be moved dependant upon weight? What is the clip for on the fender? To lock down the rear of the seat? or is that to hold the helper spring mount when not in use?

Thanks for the ref to the 57 buddie photo Perry/ Danny.

Comment

As I only have a single bolt hole on the back. I think I need to make a brace that will attach to the spring helper and stabalize the seat from rocking side to side. Or would my home made bracket span these two holes? As a cross shape.

Would the two brackets be for moving the helper spring to adjust for weight? Or ????

I don't have all hardware and am trying to determine as to how I'm going to mount this thing. On a narrow Scout frame.

Any thoughts or input appreciated. Just mulling over some ideas.
      Attached Files

Comment

I would give Rocky Halter a call. Its likely that either Rocky or Toney would have the parts laying around to fix you up. I have never seen a seat like that.

Comment

documented photos

Some photos to document this seat as I gut it and start the process. Yes it's a civilian Indian double seat for a scout. It's rare as not many people want to put a double seat on a little scout. I just wanted the option.

Aftermarket seats don't have Indian crests on the leather do they? I don't think so. Pretty sure it came from the factory. An ordered option?

Going to use 45 helper springs for the rear support. Still haven't figured out the hardware needed for the under side. Gunna have to wing it. As no one seems to have any knowledge or parts. So, some input would be great from you all.

I feel that the rear sprung bar will need a horizontal support bracket to give the rear of the seat some side to side stability. This bracket or brackets would be bolted into the single bolt hole. I think in a way that would allow you to repostion the rear support spring dependant upon weight. One of two positions.
          Attached Files

Comment

Side rivet on seam. White cord thread used. Handles were painted black. No evidence of chrome.
            Attached Files

Comment

side top
              Attached Files

Comment

concho holes? maybe indian head ones? Wonder what they were and looked like.
                Attached Files

Comment

canvas over foam
                  Attached Files

Comment

foam
                    Attached Files

Comment

pan top
                      Attached Files

Comment

pan _side
                        Attached Files

Comment

Paul--The seat was called the Indian Companion Saddle #93319, and was manufactured by Milsco Mfg. in Milwaukee. I saw the original production drawing when I was there doing research for my book. The design date was Nov 7, 1941. The original thread color (per the drawing specs) was black. The drawing does not show any decorations where the "concho holes" are on the skirt so someone probably decorated it themselves.

Comment

Fantastic! Thank-you! Now it has a name. Did the drawing show the hardware under it? Do you have any ideas of what it may have looked like or worked. Clinging to hope here.

Is it possible to restore and reuse the original top leather (reconditioned) just add a new seam leather for attaching it? Is it worth the time to do that? Or would I be courting eventual failure?

Comment

Thats a cool seat, never seen one like it. I have only done a couple seats, but I think - unless real lucky, your new thread would pull through the old leather. I think you would be best to replace the leather with all new, just a novice opinion there. I gave a lady friend a ride on my Scout and I was really surprised. The 45 took it very well and on the fairly flat roads, the extra weight was almost not noticed. Good luck with your seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X